Chapter Seventeen: An Invitation

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: AN INVITATION

November has finally ended and now it's Christmas month.

What I hate about living in Los Angeles, California is the lack of snow during December. Usually my dad and I would fly to my grandma's villa in New York where there is snow just so I can enjoy white Christmas. Nevertheless, the doctors didn't allow my dad to travel anywhere for another three months because of his ill condition and that is absolutely fine with me.

For two weeks that my dad was in the hospital, Jeremy and I would go to school together while one of our house staff took care of my dad. He would just drop me off two blocks away from school so we won't raise any suspicions. Then once school is over, either we'd return to our house to get more stuff or we'd go straight to the hospital again.

For two weeks he slept in the private room with me and dad, prepared breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes when he's tired from teaching, we'd just order a take-out which probably only happened four times since he believes that take-out foods are seriously unhealthy.

Lance and the boys visited on the first week but they only stayed for half an hour because Jeremy kept glaring at them from across the room even though he's eating the glazed donuts Lance brought for us. When I hugged my friends goodbye, Jeremy wasn't in the mood to cook so I ordered pizza instead. The boys didn't make another visit so Lance and I just resorted to texting and calling. Jeremy would always get out whenever he knows  I'm on the phone with Lance. I guess he wants us to have some privacy.

I wouldn't say my fiancé and I played house while dad was comatose for two weeks but we kind of did. He'd make our meal for the day and he finally agreed to let me wash the dishes. Our house helpers offered to stay but I told them I'd like to feel independent just for a few days.

And I really liked having my future husband solely for my eyes to feast on whenever he's out of the shower. I still felt fire burning my face every time he did that. He said the steam of the hot water makes him sweat. And he enjoys seeing me blush too. That jerk.

Unlike that guy, I chose to change my clothes inside the bathroom once I'm done in the shower. I don't mind the heat. I think I'd rather sweat a little because of the steam than sweat like a pig because Jeremy is in the room while I'm naked. Closed eyes or not, that's just uncomfortable for my liking. He wasn't very fond of me not changing clothes outside the bathroom and I don't really care.

Then when my dad woke up, permanently this time, Jeremy held me while I cried happy tears. Dad doesn't remember what he said the first time he woke up two weeks ago and I'm glad he couldn't because that would be awkward all over again.

They've discharged him two days ago and now he's resting in his bedroom with one female and one male nurse to accompany him. He also has two personal maids by his side.

My dad can walk but he needs plenty of rest and a lot less of stress.

I don't like to sound grateful of my dad's near-to-death experience but I'd like to see it as a simple blessing in disguise because Jeremy and I became closer in the two weeks we spent together in the hospital. My dad noticed it too when Jeremy drove us both home and he's glad we don't argue every minute like we used to. Only every hour.

Like right now.

"I refuse to have a math tutor!" I exclaim as my foot stomps on his office floor.

"But it's not Hailey anymore!" Jeremy argues.

I roll my eyes. "I. Don't. Want. A. Math. Tutor."

"Stop being so childish, Kim"

"You already taught me during our time in the hospital, I think I can answer the test now."