Chase

We ended up leaving the hotel early that morning. Black River patrols in the town were just absurdly high. Hummers driving around flashing Mark 19 grenade launchers, Browning M2s, miniguns and even a tow missile launcher. Thankfully, we managed to avoid the armored trucks and get out without too much trouble other than a few annoying traffic lights. We stopped for breakfast in the next town and then continued on. The morning turned to noon, noon turned into lunch time and lunch time turned into an hour or so at burger king. After we left burger king we gassed up and continued pushing towards 29.

It was around 2 or so in the afternoon and about 200 miles from 29 that a I noticed a Bugatti Veyron get behind Calen. The car was jet black, even the grill and wheels were black. The headlights were super bright LED's and there was what looked like some kind of GPS on the roof of the car.

"There's a Bugatti Veyron behind me", Calen said over his CB, "how cool is this shit!?"

"Eh", Citrus said, "I could smoke it."

"All three of us could", I said, "look at the censor on top, it's Self Driving."

'Why would you not drive a 2.2 million dollar car yourself?", Citrus asked.

"Because American's have become lazy fucks", I said.

"True true", Citrus said.

More time and 400 miles past. Time and mileage that I thought would take us away from the Self Driving Veyron, it didn't. Calen called about 20 minutes after it showed up that it was following us, but I assumed it was just on a part of it's route that mostly followed ours. It became clear 40 minutes after it showed up that the Self Driving Veyron might not be so Self Driving after all.

"This damn thing is following us", Calen said, "called it."

"Yeah", I said, "you did, question is how do we lose that stupid thing?"

"We can just floor it and split up", Citrus said, "it can't chase all three of us."

"But the cops can", I said, "we don't need to rip up the pavement to get away from a self driving car, we just need to find a sharp corner with a few obstructions in the road, like a bunch of sand."

"Or a pot hole", Citrus said, "next right, there's a deep as hole in the middle of the road."

I looked out the window. Sure enough, right out of the stoplight we were sitting at , there was a huge pot hole."

"Calen", I said, turn on your blinker, right turn."

Calen's blinker came on. Sure enough, so did the Veyron's.

"Black River?", Calen asked.

"No doubt", I said as the light turned green and we all made the turn. Sure enough, the Self Driving Veyron's safety software got the better of it and it stopped mid turn, causing it to get rear ended by a semi trailer that hadn't braked for a red light, sending it into a tail spin.

"I feel so sorry for that poor car", Citrus commented.

"yeah, me too."

The feeling of freedom didn't last. Soon, we got a nasty wake up call when two black escalades pulled up behind us. At first, I thought they were just regular people, until the convertible roofs drew back, revealing twin Mark 19 grenade launchers and M249 SAW Machine guns. Not good!

"Time to punch it!?", Citrus shouted.

"Time to punch it!!", I shouted matting the gas to the floor, dropping down to first gear from sixth. My car's front wheels fought for grip for a mere half second before the treads caught the road and the Honda's Nissan built heart became an eager participant in our escape. Citrus' automatic transmission woke up the Hennessy Venom GT under the hood and torqued the Impala's Rear Wheels so hard the front end cleared the ground by at least 5 feet as the daytime LED's came on and the car shot forward, while Calen's truck overshadowed the sound of it's BMW 3.0 liter with a deranged hiss produced from the turbos.