Back East

I always liked staying at hotels. If you asked me why I'll tell you, "no clue, just like them." Maybe it was because hotels seemed to have mattresses in all their rooms that you could only get legally if you were a hotel. If you wanted one and didn't have a hotel you would have to go to the black market, or the deep web or some shit. The same thing seemed to go for their window units, where did they get them and why are they so strong compared to some other ones I've seen? Again, can you only get them if your hotel only? I've never seen those long ass units in anyone's house, no matter where I looked. I'd even tried goggling it before, but can never find anything

Despite Best western being a pretty high end hotel, I didn't sleep well that night. The Reason? Every time I saw a fucking headlight outside, I found myself going, "Shit, how could they possibly have tracked us? How did they even know we got him out?" Every time it turned out just to be someone passing by or turning around, but still. Every time I heard a car come close by I was up, rifle in hand, staring out that window until I could I could assure myself that they weren't the mercs coming to get us. It didn't help the next morning when we were leaving that I had gotten maybe two total hours of sleep. Everyone noticed.

"You okay Ace?", Mercury asked as he packed his air mattress away.

"No", I yawned, "my paranoia kept me up all night last night. It had me thinking every car were the mercs coming to kill us."

"That's a perfectly rational fear for your position", the professor said, "with two little kids and a HVI, it's understandable your not wanting to take any chances."

"So now your a mind reader?", I yawned, "I thought you were a Biologist or a neural guy or some shit?"

The professor smiled slightly, "I'm an expert in DNA and Genetics, but it's rather easy to tell when someone is worried for the safety of an HVI and his team members. And until you get some rest, I will handle the driving."

"No you wont", I said, "putting some rubber down will wake me up."

"I'm obviously in no position to order you to hand over your keys", the prof said, "however, I am going to recommend that you permit me to handle your Honda until you've had at least 5 hours of sleep."

"I think you should listen to him Ace", Riley said, "the last thing we need is for you to fall asleep at the wheel when were doing 70 down the interstate."

I sighed and tossed the professor my keys, "fine whatever, what ever shuts you all up quicker."

I finished packing up my things and walked out to my car, I helped the kids cram their stuff into the tiny trunk and then helped them in, sliding into the passenger seat. I had never once ridden shotgun in the Civic, it felt weird not having a steering wheel in my lap.

"Be warned", I said putting the seat back a bit, sliding it forward as well so I wouldn't kill Riley's legs, "the clutch travel is about 2 inches with 45 pound springs and the shifter is just as heavy. Redline is 8125 RPM."

"Noted", the professor grunted as he pushed the clutch in and started the car, "where's reverse?"

"Down from 5th", I said.

"Same places as my Integra", the professor said as he backed out of the parking space and pulled to the entrance of the parking lot. I reached up and turned on the GPS so I wouldn't have to tell the prof where to go. Green turned the car onto the main road and rode it to 5500 RPM before making a smooth transition into Second Gear.

"Smooth shift there proff", I commented.

"'I've had a lot of practice", he said, "I've never driven an Automatic, my whole life I've driven 5 speed front wheel drives, you could say I have some experience."