A Touch Of Citrus

Rylar and I drove for most of the day, all through the night and well into the next morning. We stopped for breakfast at a Dunken Doughnuts about ten minutes after hitting Mertyle Beach, as much to recharge as it was to let the Civic cool off after having run for nearly 20 hours without stopping. The morning sky was dim and gray, still too early in the morning for the sun to disperse the cloud cover. The only sign that it was morning were a few rays of sunshine to the east of us. There weren't too many people in line at the Dunken store either, which was a good sign, meant that Rylar and I could get our stuff quickly.

"So who exactly are we after here?", Rylar asked.

"A friend of mine named Wolf, okay, that's not her real name, but still, the premise is the same", I said, "Morningstar was going to approach her for the project, but when they found out her DNA wasn't compatible with the serum, he backed off. Now that green's on board, they think they can work around that."

"I hope so", Rylar said, "otherwise we made this trip for nothing."

"Not really", I said, "my buddy Calen is compatible with it, the problem with him will be convincing his parents to allow him to join, I know I can convince him, it's his parents that worry me."

"What about her's?", Rylar asked.

"I have a feeling her parents will listen to her", I said, "I just don't know if I can get them together."

"Why?", Rylar asked.

"I'm not going to say", I told him, "I don't know how she'd react."

"Fair enough", Rylar answered, "But do you even have any idea where to find her?"

"If I've learned anything about that girl it's that when in doubt, check the soccer field."

"Interesting", Rylar said taking a huge bite out of his doughnut.

"Slow down there", I said taking a sip of my coffee, something I hadn't had in a long time, "I don't need you to choke and we both know what happens when a dragon get's a sugar high."

"Don't care", Rylar said with his mouth full, "I'd eat it even if I knew sugar was lethal to dragons."

I looked around, "thank god no one heard that."

"Why?", Rylar asked swallowing his bite.

"Well I heard those Baptist people were around here", I said taking another drink of coffee, "they don't exactly like people who like to pretend they are dragons."

"But we actually are", Rylar said, "were just wearing cammo. And do they only hate people who like to be dragons?

"Yes but we can't exactly drop our cloak here", I said, "and no. They hate gays and trans people too."

"Because that's not racist", Rylar said.

"Gay and trans aren't a race", I said, "I don't understand why people think it is."

'Either way", Rylar said, "let's get back to it, the sooner we get done, the sooner we can sleep."

"Amen to that", I said grabbing my coffee and doughnut. Rylar and I walked out the front of the coffee shop. The first thing I noticed was a funeral going by that looked to be military with a long line of cars behind it. Accompanying the cars and hearse was a mass of people holding up signs that read stupid shit like "God Hates America" or, "all soldiers burn in hell."

"Fuck me", I sighed as I unlocked the Civic.

"Watch out for the retards across the street", Rylar said as we both slid into the car. I took it out of neutral and pushed the clutch down, starting the car. Normally I revved it to get the heat flowing, but it was already warm so I simply put it in reverse. The front wheels pushed the car back and turned it around before I shifted into first and Idled to the edge of the parking lot, the Civic's lumpy exhaust note, FWD badges and Military sticker eventually attracted the attention of the fucktard baptists, half of who turned their attention on me, surrounding the Civic and yelling bullshit like, "your going to burn in hell!" or , "your a child killer and a rapist!" I growled at myself and revved the engine up to 9,000 RPM. The side pipes on the Civic blowing hot gases at the ankles of the idiots and causing them to back way off.