The Dome

It didn't take us that long to formulate a plan of how to get into the dome undetected. Due to the cloud cover in the sky, the only lights around for hundreds of miles were the ones from the dome itself and even then they didn't influence more than 50 yards from the actual structure. The idea was this. We could fly up to about 500 feet from the dome and then free fall down when we were right on top of it. Assuming the roof wasn't guarded, we could very easily slip inside, though working our way through undetected was a different matter. There wasn't anyway to know what hallways were guarded, when and where all the nooks and crannies someone could be hiding were. Risky, yes. Necessary? Also yes, so we didn't really have a choice.

We left the encampment around 8PM. Under the cover of the dark, we flew up about 500 feet and then covered the near mile to the dome as quietly and quickly as we could. When we were over the roof, we dropped down onto a still hot metal walk way that wrapped around generator buildings and AC parts. Over the hum of all the mechanics and diesel engines, I could hear what sounded like three or four guards coming this way and from the sounds I was getting, they were less than 50 feet away.

"Guards coming", I said stepping into an alcove between two cooling towers, "find cover."

Mako and Arnett took cover behind the tower with me while Jayden was with Nina across from us. The foot steps walked a few paces before turning and coming down the walkway where we just were. About a half a minute before I actually saw more of the same guards that I'd seen watching the truck earlier today, an absolutely disgusting smell smacked me over the head, a stench that reeked with all the force of an open mass grave. The smell was so bad that I actually threw up in my mouth and Arnett looked like she might pass out with the way she turned white. This was about the time that the four guards passed us. They were talking about quite normal things, such as the state of the American Government, what they were going to do when they got their next few weeks of vacation time and so on. What bothered me somewhat was that that they all seemed to just, flat not know they smelled like decaying bodies. Maybe they'd been in the field for so long they were used to it?

"God those fuckers stink!", I whispered to myself as we regrouped and I washed my mouth out, "let's keep moving, they had to have come up here from somewhere. I'll take point, Nina you bring up the rear, Jayden in the middle and Arnett and Mako protecting him."

We assumed formation and then I simply followed the stink trail that those guards had left behind to a ladder system that looked like a fire escape. At the bottom of the escape were two guards where were busy on their phones.

"Two tangos at the bottom of the stair case", I said pulling out my combat knife and flaring my wings, "Nina, follow my lead."

I jumped over the edge, using my wings to slow my descent enough that I wouldn't brake anything when I hit. I slammed into my target, knocking him into the ground face first and sending his M4 flying. Before he could try to flip over and counter, I drove my knife into his neck and severed his spinal chord. Nina had been a bit slower getting to her target and the other person had seen me and raised her M4. I went for my desert eagle just as Nina crashed into the woman and buried her knife in the back of her neck. We hid the bodies as quickly as we could because we couldn't stand the stink.

"Why do all these people smell like rotting bodies?", I asked as the little kids joined us.

"Think maybe it has something to do with what we fought back at camp?", Arnett asked.

"Doubtful", Mako said as we began to follow the edges of the building, following the guards stink trail to a back door with two more guards. I raised my S20 and let off two shots, dropping both of them where they stood. I also put a third round into the small light bulb above the door and then we slunk up to it, Nina and I on each side of the door with a few of the others behind us.