Chapter 3

Chapter Three

You're probably wondering why I'm so serious about basketball. One of the reasons is because I love it. It's the only time when I can forget all of my past family issues, and other problems. I just feel so comfortable playing basketball. Also, it's always been the main sport in my family. My dad used to play in the NBA awhile back. Another reason, is that it's most likely my only ticket into college, by getting a scholarship. My mom doesn't have the money to pay for college tuition, considering it's only her and I... since my Dad's car accident two years ago.

My Dad died in that accident. It was really sad. I felt like I wouldn't be able to go on... but I did. It only made me stronger. It was different, not hearing him yelling at me during a game, or even starting a fight with the refs. I missed him. And I still do. Every once in a while, I still cry myself to sleep, wishing my Dad could be here, to see all my accomplishments in basketball. But now, he's just watching from above.

Sometimes it really sucks. Not having a lot of money, barely getting by. That's pretty much why we moved to this small town, because our apartment in New York City was becoming too expensive. Also, I won't be able to play AAU basketball anymore. It's just too much money now, and out of the question, since it costs about 300$- 400$ to play, and involves a lot of driving, which means we'd need gas money too. But hey, I'm just going to keep moving on. I'll keep getting better at basketball, and hope for some kind of scholarship.

It's now the day after my first open gym, and I'm walking to first period. I hope stupid Link doesn't bother me. I go in the room, and sit down, quietly, not making eye contact with Link.

"Hey Bitch," He says to me.

Did I hear him wrong? Did he seriously just call me a bitch?

"Excuse me? What gives you the right to call me a bitch?!" I start to go off on him.

"Everything. You came into open gym yesterday, acting like your all that at basketball," Link said.

"Shut Up Link. You're just mad because I actually played well, and got along with everyone, except you," I said, glaring at him.

"Whatever. Just don't expect to make the team, Dare. There's no room for girls," He sneered, and then the announcements came on, silencing us all.

They were boring, like always, but we had to listen. I heard that Ms. Rinko gives detention if you talk during them, so I didn't want to risk it though. Right before they went off, I heard an announcement saying that boys basketball tryouts were next week. I kind of had a mini freak-out. That was really soon, and I wasn't really used to playing with a boy's basketball yet. But I guess I'd just have to get over it.

******

The whole day, i recognized guys from basketball last night. I didn't realize until now that quite a few of them were in my classes. I walked into study hall, and right away I saw two that I knew, their names were Zack and Philip. Zack was a junior, like me, but Philip was a sophomore.

I started to go over to the table I had sat at yesterday, by myself, when Philip called me over. I went over to them.

"Hey, Dare right?" Philip asked me.

"Yep," I said.

"Why don't you sit with us, oh beautiful Dare?" Philip said, smiling. Oh gosh, he was flirting with me.

"Okay," I said, sitting down next to Philip, and across from Zack, who had yet to say a word. Then I noticed he was listening to his iPod. When the bell rang, he took his headphones off.

"Dare is going to sit with us," Philip told Zack, who just sat there, looking calm, cool and collected.

"Cool," Zack said.