Chapter 2

Chapter Two

"There's no girls' basketball program," I told my mom. I continued to tell her the story.

"I can't believe that! Don't worry honey, you can just play AAU. We'll probably have to drive far, but I know basketball means so much to you." My mom said.

"But mom, I have an easier solution. I'm going to go out for the boys' team." I said simply, grabbing an apple off of the counter and taking a bite out of it.

A shocked expression came across my mom's face.

"What? Sweetie, you could get seriously injured, considering all those boys are probably well over 5'10', and you're only about 5'5'," My mom said, still looking shocked.

"I know mom, but there's really no other alternative. And playing with boys will make me alot better, because it will be more challenging," I said.

My mom sighed. "I don't know..." She hesitated.

"Please mom? Just let me atleast tryout. And go to open gyms. I've been dying to play ever since we moved, since i've had no one to play with," I said, munching on my apple.

She sighed again.

"Fine," she mumbled.

"But are you even sure you're allowed to?" She asked me.

"Well, there's no girls team, so yeah, i'm pretty much allowed to, because otherwise they'd be discriminating girls." I explained.

"Okay then," She said.

I smiled. I had gotten a yes from my mom, to play basketball... with boys. But this could be fun. I finished off my apple and threw the core away, and ran upstairs to my room. I pulled out my laptop so I could get on the school website and see if they had boys' basketball info up. I didn't feel like going back to the athletic offices to talk with that rude man.

******

I put my hair in a ponytail, and put on a thick headband. It was the only thing I had that would keep my thick, wavy hair in place. Once I was dressed after that, I grabbed my nike drawstring bag, and threw my basketball shoes in there.

Yes, I was going to open gym, for the first time. It turned out there was one today. I was so excited, I hadn't played basketball with anyone in a long time.

I put on my slides with my nike elite socks and I was ready to go. I decided to walk.

As I was walking, I noticed a group of guys a little ways ahead of me, heading to the school also. I guessed they were basketball players, too.

Finally I got to the school in about ten minutes, and walked in. I checked my phone. 6:15. I was late, open gym had started at 6:00. I hoped it wouldn't leave a bad impression.

I walked in to the gym and there was about twenty guys total, and they were running laps. They were on the other side of the gym, so they hadn't seen me yet. I walked up to a guy that looked like a coach.

"Hello," I said to him simply.

He looked at me, confused. He was really tall, and that was the first thing I noticed about him.

"I'm here for open gym," I stated, and sat down. I took out my shoes and started to lace them up.

"Well, okay, what's your name?" He asked me. He looked like he was in his forties, with dark brown hair and freckles.

"Darienne. But I go by Dare only," I said.

"Alrighty, I'm coach Dykes," He said, then called to the rest of the guys to come over. I could hear them whispering as they came up, probably talking about me. But that was okay, for now.