Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gavin’s POV…

(The Rossetti's Pizza----->)

 Finally after days on that damn bus curled up in a corner, I was finally here. I stepped on the final step off the bus and onto the depot platform. It was still early evening and I wanted some decent food. I have lived off of the Angel’s canned tuna or chicken salad and crackers for the last three days but don’t get me wrong; those things saved me from leaving the bus and mingling with others. I was scared out of my mind and the idea of getting off and being noticed it almost rendered me immobile most times.

 I weaved my way on shaky legs through the throng of people inside the bus station, I was anxious to get outside and see the infamous city. I wanted to get a slice a pizza and I needed to look for somewhere to stay. Then after a good night’s sleep I can look for a job. Yeah, that sounded like a good plan. My eyes scanned around and I saw a sign advertising “The Visitors Information Desk”, I trudged my way and my eyes went wide at the giant map on the wall. Taking a calming breath I deliberated over the multi selections of maps and tourists guides and etcetera. Finally I just looked up onto the map and found my exact location. I grabbed a guide of hotels and motels and another map of the city.

 Making sure my backpack was strapped up securely; I was wearing like a baby carrier, to the front. I was more than paranoid about someone trying to grab my stuff, people always talked about the abnormal level of crime in the big cities. Pushing my way outside, a gush of cool air hit me in the face. All I could smell was exhaust fumes and a million other things I couldn’t even begin to put a name to. People rushed by quickly, no one took any notice of me or even made eye contact with me. Everyone seemed to have somewhere to be and was in a hurry to get there. I stepped out into the crowd and was bumped and jostled for a little bit until I gained my footing and kept up with the crowd. I scanned the street looking for somewhere to pull aside without being trampled.

 I saw a little Italian eatery sign ahead and I rushed forward and literally hopped into the doorway. Sheesh, the pace here was definitely faster than back home. I pushed the door open and the delicious wave of Italian spices slapped me in the face and made my stomach growl something awful. A plump woman was wiping off the small table top right next to me when she heard my stomach. Her head snapped up and she studied me before she said, “You sound like you need food young man,” her hands now on her ample hips.  “I am Gina Rossetti, my husband and I own this restaurant.” She explained as she ushered me to a table. I noticed from the corner of my eye how she was gazing at my bruised face, and I ducked my head just a little bit, embarrassed, I should have kept my hoodie up but I didn’t want her to think I was going to rob the place or something.

 I just followed in her wake and I took a seat, pulling off my backpack and putting in the seat right beside me.

 “So little one, tell me what you fancy, heh, or do you want a menu?” She asked her hands back on those hips.

 I knew what I wanted so I just told her. “Two slices of pepperoni pizza and a coke please.” I said as I pulled a twenty from my pocket.

 She waved me off, “pay after you eat.” Then she yelled out. “Carlo, two slices of the pepperoni pie.”

 I pulled out the hotel guide and began looking through it. Mrs. Rossetti had bustled off to get my soda. I checked the battery charge on my phone and I only had one bar. I needed to find a place before nightfall to plug it in and call the girls; I know they were worrying about me. She came back and set the large glass filled to the brim with fizzy cola on the table when she noticed what I was reading. I knew she saw my bruised and battered face, but she didn’t make an issue of it. She hovered for a minute so I looked up at her and said. “Go ahead and ask?”