Chapter 22: Promise

So tonight you should go and take a chance with her
She could be everything you wanted, everything you wanted boy
Don't let that get away
Don't let that slip away
Don't let that love escape

* * * *

"I've been in love with you since we moved here." He continued, "I've always had love for you but I knew that it was deeper than what I thought once we moved out here." He explained.

I swallowed hard, my hands beginning to become damp and shake due to nerves. I didn't know what to say. I had rehearsed what I'd say if he were to ever tell me, but at this moment, my mind went blank.

"There's just something about you. It's not just physical either. I mean you gorgeous as hell and any guy you give your time to is blessed but that's not why I'm in love with you." He sighed loudly, "It's you. I love all of you."

My chest rose and fell rapidly as I processed all this. Tears threatening to spill once again, but this time I couldn't stop them as they fell slowly down my cheeks.

"You've been there for me since high school. You changed everything just for me. You changed colleges for me, you cancelled college just to move with me, you supported my dreams more than anyone I know. You've helped me write my music, you've even been my inspiration multiple times. Truth is, I don't where I'd be without your support."

I smiled softly, sniffling as I looked down at my lap.

"Seeing you be mistreated by all these assholes, it pisses me off. You deserve so much and they just couldn't give it to you. But I can. Or at least I can try to." He held my hand tighter, intertwining our fingers, "I know I don't have the best background with women but I could try. I want you, more than you probably understand."

"You mean so much to me which is why I haven't told you about this. Plus, I'm not the best when it comes to words." He chuckled.

"You did amazing." I whispered, sniffling again.

"I hope I did." He nodded, "You can talk now."

I laughed, "I don't even know what to say. I never in a million years would've expected you, Nate Maloley, to express your feelings to anyone like that. Especially not me." I looked up at him, "But I knew. I-I knew you loved me." I admitted.

He whipped his head towards me, "You did?"

I nodded, "But not for long. Only for a few weeks. Janelle brought up the thought after you panicked about me going crazy about that chick questioning me." I explained.

"I didn't believe it at first but then I began piecing things together. How overprotective you'd get, your jealousy and your love for me. It was crazy, I had a panic attack just thinking about it. I would've never expected you to love me like that." I pointed at myself, "I almost brought it up over the phone two weeks ago but I wanted you to tell me. I wanted you to tell me in person."

Nate exhaled deeply, "I can't believe you knew."

"Yeah." I looked down at my lap.

We sat in silence, trying to process everything that was just put out there. It was overwhelming, my chest felt heavy and I still shook with nerves. If I were anxious, I could only imagine how Nate felt.