chapter twenty-five

Not much has happened since we arrived at The Underworld. Henry and I have felt as if we've been on the sidelines ever since we've got here. Everyone's so busy doing what they have to whilst Henry and I are just trailing behind.

I can't help but feel as if Henry's keeping something from me and I can't take it anymore. I know it wouldn't be Violet because she's not dead, obviously, but a small part of me is convinced that it's something to do with the author's pen - and the author is obviously Henry.

So I decided to follow Cruella's car since I saw Henry and her stepping inside it earlier today. I have to admit, I didn't expect them to be going so far since I had to run the whole way.

I hid behind one of the trees in forest when the car stopped and the two got out. I made sure I kept my distance from them in the woods just in case they heard me, but Cruella seemed too focused on complaining about the dirt.

"I swear I saw it." Henry sighed.
"Well then move those little legs of yours and keep looking - go!" Cruella waved him off, whilst she stood there and cringed.

Great, now I'm gonna have to find a way to sneak past Cruella to find out where Henry's going. I looked around to see if there was any ways to get past her when my eyes fell upon a huge pile of leaves and branches. I tried to get past there as quickly as possible, snapping a few sticks on my way, but Cruella seemed to ignore it. Once I was almost back on Henry's trail, I snapped another stick.
"Who's there?!" Cruella yelled.
I rolled my eyes. "I've never understood that question. Why even bother asking it? Like anyone's actually going to answer." I whispered to myself as I picked up a stick and threw it in the direction I came, hoping Cruella would hear it and head in that direction to find out who was in the woods other than her and Henry. It seemed to work since I heard footsteps going the other way.

Once I caught up to Henry, I saw him stood with The Apprentice.
"What unfinished business could you possibly have?"
"You, my boy. I am here to prevent you from making a terrible mistake, you must not resurrect Cruella DeVil."
"So the pen can bring someone back to life?" Henry asked, taking a step forward. "You told me it couldn't!"
"That was a necessary... half truth. Up there, yes. Down here, the rules are a little more flexible. I saw no reason to tempt you; the dilemma you're currently in is why." The Apprentice told him.
I slowly took one more step forward and hid behind a closer tree so their voices were more audible.
"I'm not getting the pen for Cruella - I'm getting it for me. I just watched my mom become The Dark One, I watched the girl I love turn her back on me because I messed up and I know that even though she's forgiven me, deep down she hasn't, I watched Hook die and I couldn't do anything." Henry snapped, taking me back at his comment about me.
"You are the author. As such, you should use the quill only to record the stories, not create them." The Apprentice replied.
"I don't care about the stupid stories anymore! I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines. I wanna be a hero, I wanna help my mom and get rid of that part deep down in Brooke that hasn't forgiven me even if it means helping Cruella." Henry almost yelled.
The Apprentice sighed. "In The Sorcerer's mansion lie all his great works of light magic - the quill included. It is protected by a powerful spell. But the sheriff took the key from me." He began. "Aquire that key and the quill is yours."
"Wait, what you're... you're helping me? This is your choice, Henry. But the only way that I can move on is if you make the right one. I trust you." And with that, he was gone.

Henry was about to walk back over to Cruella when I decided to step out from behind the tree I was hiding by. "You are a hero." I said, causing Henry to spin around in shock.
"Did you hear all of that?" Henry asked, nervously.
I laughed and nodded. "I knew you were keeping something for me. Don't think I wouldn't find about it soon enough."
Henry looked at his thumbs as I slowly walked towards him. "Remember when Isaac sent everyone who was born into the enchanted forest back there and changed their stories and we were the only two people in Storybrooke?"
Henry looked up and me and nodded.
"It was you who saved the day. Now I think that's pretty heroic."
Henry smiled. "I know, I'm proud of myself. But I want to step out of sidelines with you by my side."
"I'd love to help. Honestly, I'm sick of just tagging along, too. We're not just kids who don't know what's happening - because guess what, we actually have a clue what's going on and we're going to help."
Henry took hold of hand and kissed me cheek. "That's my girl. Now, I've gotta get back to Cruella before she suspects anything and come up with some sort of lie for her."
I groaned. "Do I really have to run all the way back?"
Henry chuckled and nodded. "Tell you what, you run to Granny's and I'll meet you there. Then, we go to my moms and tell them we can help."
I nodded and let go of his hand. "I guess I'll see you later."

***

Henry and I ran into David and Mary Margaret's "home" in the Underworld.
"Hey," Henry began, trailing off when he looked around.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"Oh, looking for the storybook, you know, Underworld addition." Mary Margaret smiled.
"Really? Well I think I might know exactly where it is." Henry replied, I grinned.
"How would you know that?" David asked him.
"The Apprentice. I saw him at... at Granny's. He said The Sorcerer's mansion is down here and there's a bunch of stuff inside." Henry told them.
I turned around to Emma. "Such as the storybook."
"Finally some good news." Regina sighed.
"Well, sort of." I bit my lip.
"The house is locked with magic and the sheriff has the key." Henry explained.
"Your evil twin, the sheriff?" Hook asked David.
"Well, it's time for my brother and me to have a chat." David said, his arms crossed.
"Well, you won't be alone. I still owe him a punch in his pretty mouth for kissing me." Mary Margaret said, with gritted teeth.
"Yes! You go, grandma!" I grinned, trying to lighten the mood.
Henry laughed and looked at me, as did Mary Margaret.
"Well, love, you won the award of who can lighten the mood the easiest." Hook said. I turned to him and smiled.
"He kissed you?" David asked.
"I thought it was you." Mary Margaret said quickly, walking out of the door.
"Let's go!" David said, frustrated.