Do you really care?

I trudged into school, my heavy black backpack slung over my shoulder. It seemed like a pretty normal day; I was greeted by my friends, only tripped over myself once (surprisingly) and managed not to get myself into any trouble. But, as I left the school at the end of the day, blaring Fall Out Boy from my iPhone, I noticed someone sitting at one of the outdoor picnic tables slumped over, crying. My instinct kicked in and I rushed over to see what was the matter. As I got closer I began to get a closer look at the saddened stranger. She looked about my age, her blonde hair cut into a pixie cut. The back of her shirt was torn into a pattern of a skull....cool. Her messenger bag was littered with buttons of different bands, Of Mice & Men, Black Veil Brides, Greenday, you name it. I hesitated, then sat down next to her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked quietly, poking her shoulder.

She jumped in her seat and quickly wiped her eyes, giving me a startled look.

"Oh, uh n-nothing," she grabbed her bag and hurried off. I ran after her.

"Obviously something is wrong!" I kept up with her quick pace, following her back into the school building. I didn't care if my dad had to wait to pick me up.

"Just drop it, ok. This doesn't concern you," she snapped, revealing an angry expression.

"Fine, fine. You're right, but I was only trying to help," I quickly turned on my heel and started to walk away.

"Wait!" she called "Come back!"

I turned back around and faced her.

"Look, I'm sorry. That was pretty bitchy of me, it's just that.....well I'm not open to talking about my problems especially to strangers,"

"I understand, it's no big deal. I just don't want you to be upset, you seem like a really nice girl. And you have great taste in bands," I gestured towards her bag.

Her face lit up "Thanks! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for these guys,"

I smiled at her and began to say something, but my phone went off. It was a text from my dad.

'Im outside! Where r u?!'

I sighed and locked my phone.

"I'm sorry, I've gotta go. That was my dad....hey, I never got your name,"

"Rebecca, and what's yours?"

"Xana," I said "Do you have a phone?"

"yep, let me put my number in your phone," I handed it to her and she punched in her number.

"Thanks! I'll text you!" I said as I ran off.

I got to the parking lot and looked around for my dads car, I couldn't find it anywhere.

"Xana! Over here!" I heard my dad yell out of his car.

I grinned and ran to his car.

"Hey dad," I said cheerily as I threw my bag in the backseat.

"Hey honey, how was your day?" I told him about Rebecca, which sparked his interest.

"Huh...well, that was really.....nice. So you said she likes Black Veil Brides?" he asked.

"Yep, well....she had a button of you guys so I guess so," I responded.

He nodded his head and rubbed his chin.

"Well," he said after a long while "This is all very interesting,"

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"She doesn't know that you're my daughter, right?" his tone was stern.

"Um....no? Why would that matter?"

"Christ, Xana! She could be a crazy fan, I don't want her hurting you! You have no idea what she has the capability of doing! You didn't give her your number, I hope. Did you?!" he ranted.

"Dad! She's not like that!! Rebecca wouldn't hurt anyone!" The only person hurting me was him.

"How the hell do you know?! You just met her! And you didn't answer my question; did you give her your number?!"

I looked down at my feet and played with my hair, he'll kill me if he finds out that I gave her my number. And I couldn't lie, I was a terrible liar.

"You've got to be kidding me, you did! Didn't you?!" He looked at me with such disappointment.

"Yeah....I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make friends," I mumbled.

He shook his head and muttered "Unbelievable"

I stared out of the window and bit my lip, if I didn't I would probably cry. Why was he acting like this? It's not like I did anything wrong, but as I had found out he tended to overreact to everything he deemed harmful to my well being.

We pulled into our driveway, still in silence.

"We will be discussing this, Xana" my dad grabbed me by my shoulder and turned me so I was looking in his eyes. I scowled at him and walked away, fuck him. He had no right to scream at me like he did.

"Xana! Get back here, young lady!" he bellowed from behind me. I ignored him and pulled out my key, sticking it in the hole and unlocking the door.

I ran to my bedroom and slammed my door, then ran into my bathroom. I looked into the mirror and saw tears flowing out of my eyes and down my cheeks. Wow.....I hadn't cried like that in awhile. It actually burned my throat. Shallow sobs escaped mouth and it became extremely hard to breathe.

"Xana? Come on, don't be like this....I'm sorry I overreacted," my dad said from outside my bathroom door.

I instantly silenced my sobs and locked the door. Then threw my clothes off and stepped into the shower. I turned on the water and let it flow over me as I sat in a ball in the bathtub. At this point I wasn't crying over my dad, I was really crying for everything; my mom hating me, my sister dying, Zach betraying me, and every shitty thing that had ever happened to me. It all came out in that one shower. After awhile I heard pounding on my door. I turned off the shower and stepped out, wrapping myself in a fluffy towel. I slowly opened my door and looked to see who it was, but I had a hunch.

"What the hell Xana?" yep, I was right. It was my dad. "Sorry...I meant to say that I was worried about you"

"I'm fine dad, really. It's fine," I lied.

"I still don't want you talking to that Rebecca, and I mean it" He said sternly.

"Fine, whatever dad," I rolled my eyes and shut the door.

"Don't give me attitude, Xana. I'm trying to be nice here," I could hear him trying, but I didn't reciprocate the feeling.

"Come downstairs, I want you to meet someone. Remember that surprise I told you about?"

Oh yeah, he had mentioned a surprise earlier. My curiosity overpowered my will to stay mad at him, so I tightened the towel covering me and opened the door.

"What is it?" I asked coldly.

"You'll just have to wait and see," he replied with a smirk.

I scowled and shut the door, my attempts at being slick failed when my towel got caught in the closing door. I heard my dad stifle a laugh from the other side. I ripped the towel out of the door and used it to dry my hair. When I was finished I stepped outside and into my bedroom. I picked out clothes and started down the stairs. This should be interesting.......