Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dean watched as Castiel stiffened, sitting up straight in his seat and looking up in realisation. He had to force himself not to laugh at Cas' startled expression, despite their current situation.

"What?", Dean asked, "What is it?"

Castiel looked down at Hope, still lying unconsious in his lap, wonder written across his face like it was spelled out in red ink. "It's Hope".

"Yeah... what about her?"

"I heard her".

Dean's frustration was building, couldn't Cas give him a damn straight answer? Was it even possible? "She didn't say anything Cas", he grumbled, wondering if the angel was losing his mind, and not for the first time that day either.

"I heard her in my mind, Dean. She was telepathically speaking to me, she sent me emotions as well. I don't know of anyone who has been able to do that, Dean. How did she do that?", Castiel's voice held wonder, happiness and fear. He hadn't seen this before, which was worrying considering how old Castiel truly was.

"What did she say?", asked Dean, paying more attention now Cas was giving some halfway decent answers. Castiel blushed, much to the surprise of Dean, and said, "She said she loved me".

Castiel looked down at her and realised he felt the same way, he loved Hope's wide, honest grey eyes and her blinding smile. He loved the way she scrunged up her nose when she was confused, he loved her kindness, he loved her laugh and most of all he loved how she didn't care how many times he made mistakes. He remembered one time when he was watching the television and some show came on, it was very confusing. When he asked what was happening, why the pizza man kept hitting the babysitter if he loved her, the boys laughed, teasing Castiel relentlessly for several minutes until Hope got out of the shower. She explained it to him, then she changed the channel and watched a documentry about bees with him. He loved her so much that day, he just didn't have a name for what he was feeling at the time. Now he did.

"Huh", Dean said, raising his eyebrows in disbelief, "That was not what I was expecting".

•°•°•°•°•°•°

Suddenly Hope was ripped from the quiet corner she'd carved out of her imploding mind. She found herself in a... an empty street. The ground was wet from recent rain and she could taste the gentle acidity in the air. Turning around she spotted a lone figure, no more than a silohette, standing a short distance away.

"Excuse me, sir? Do you know where I am?"

He turned around, flashing a dangerous smirk, "We're in your dream. I just popped in to say hello to my little angel".

Hope blinked, "Do I know you?"

"Oh, I expect you've heard stories", he held out his hand, "My name is Lucifer".

She shook his hand tentitvly, "So you're Satan".

"I much prefer Lucifer, Satan is so... distasteful", he smiled again, "What did you expect?"

"Uh... You to be a little scarier?"

He laughed, the booming sound echoed through the tiny street. "I just wanted to talk. See, I've been looking for you for a while... and now I've found you".

Something tickled at Hope's memory... didn't Famine say something? Something about her Father searching for her?

"No", she whispered.

"Oh yes", Lucifer said, grinning like a cheshire cat, "Hello! Long time no see! I just popped in to meet my daughter".

Hope couldn't stop staring, she felt like she should be scared, but she wasn't. Actually, Lucifer looked like a super nice guy. "How am I your daughter?", she asked.

"Well, I made you", was his simple answer. "See... the other angels were so infuriatingly obedient. My Father, God that is, said we should love humans more than we love him. And I just couldn't do that. I needed to make the perfect angel. One who would share my ideas. So I made one out of what I could get hold of. I made you".

"Oh", it was a little overwhelming to say the least, but there was one question left to ask. "What about my Mum?"

He took a step forward and placed a warm, comforting hand on her shoulder, "Hope, Sam killed her".

Hope stared into his eyes and saw he was telling the truth.

Then she woke up.

Castiel watched her eyes fly open and he actually GASPED in excitment. Abandoning any attempt at his usual emotionless facade he scooped her into a hug, "You scared me".

Hope blinked and mumbled incoherent words into her angels shoulder. Dean watched on, in total disbelief, since when did Cas show actual emotion? It actually made Dean feel sort of happy to see Cas finally admit he cared for Hope, he had watched the angel ignore his blatently obvious feelings for WAY too long.

"I was pretty scared as well Castiel", she joked feebly, when he had finally let go. "Ugh... you guys couldn't wipe the dirt off my face? It's all dried on now".

Dean chuckled and Castiel cracked a rare smile. "Well... we were a little distracted".

"By what?", she questioned, wrapping her arms around Castiel and pushing her face into his warm shoulder.

Dean placed the empty beer bottle on a desk and opened his mouth to respond, but he was cut of by a hoarse, strangled voice,

"They were distracted by me".

Sam staggered into the room looking horrible. His arms were covered in purple bruises and blood was smeared below his nose. Collapsing into a chair he looked utterly exhausted, "Don't worry. I think I'm good now", Sam breathed.

As Hope looked at him and she remembered what woke her up. She stood up slowly, shaking off Castiel's arm, and stared at Sam. This was the man who had killed her mother. This the man who ruined her life. And now he was sitting right there, defenceless, vulnerable and weak.

"Are you okay?", Dean asked, warily.

"I talked to your big brother Castiel", she said, ignoring the question.

Cas frowned, "Which one?"

"Lucifer".

Everybody gasped, including Castiel.

"Do you know what he told me, Castiel? He told me how my Mum died. He told me Sam killed her".

"Hold on... hold on... when did you talk to him and how do you know SATAN was telling you the truth? Sammy hasn't killed anyone", Dean shook his head, trying to understand what the hell was going on.

"Just before, he was in my dream. Well, that's what he told me anyway. Sam did kill my Mum," she spun around to face Castiel, "and you didn't stop him".

"What does Cas have to do with this? And we still don't know if he's lying", Sam breathed, still sounding exhausted.

"Lucifer is my father. Why would he lie to me?"

Silence.

"My Mum's name was Lilith and Sam murdered her".

A/N: Oh gosh, not sorry in the slightest. I may not update in awhile, I'm off to go camping! It's like an annual family thing we do.

Love and burnt marshmellows,

Grace.