Chapter Fourteen

Four hours later they were still waiting for Hope to wake up.

"Cas", Dean whined childishly, "When's she going to wake up?".

"She has to wake up in her own time Dean".

The eldest brother had refused to leave her side since she collapsed on the carpet and it was no secret that he was worried. What had happened out there? And why did Cas bring her back?

"You love her don't you?", Sam said quietly.

Dean turned around so fast he hurt his neck, "No!"

Sam closed his laptop, "Yeah, you do. Maybe not romanticly or anything, but you do love her".

"She's like the annoying little sister I never wanted".

Sam didn't say anymore, but he did notice that Dean hadn't answered the question. Hope was laying in one of the beds, still unconcious. They had hoped that Cas would explain everything, but he was refusing to say anything until Hope was awake.

"So, I've been doing some research,"

"Just for something different", Dean interupted his little brother, and recieved a bitch face for his effort.

"I've been doing some research on that knife Hope's Mum gave her. And, turns out, it's the only one of it's kind. Like, ever".

"So, what is it?"

Sam picked up the silver knife sitting on the table, "See this symbol?"

"Yeah", Dean grunted.

"Well, this means it will kill angels, blade's silver," he slid his finger along the blade, "so it'll kill demons too. It's got iron in the handle so it's good with ghosts..."

Dean interupted again, "So, it kills pretty much everything".

"Yeah", Sam replied with a shrug.

"Handy. But, how did Hope's Mum get it?".

"That's what we need to find out".

"Ugh", Hope rubbed her eyes. It felt like something was pounding against the inside of her head.

She saw Dean sigh, and noticed his shoulders relax. A pang of guilt rushed through her heart as she realised he had been worrying. Nobody had worried about Hope for a very long time.

"Dean!"

She flung herself forwards and hugged him tightly, he tensed in surprise, but a second later he melted into her arms.

"What happened?", he asked as she pulled away.

"She was attacked by a demon".

Castiel said, finally speaking up, but what he told them only raised more questions.

Sam wanted to know everything, "Cas, just tell us everything. From the beginning to the end".

Hope sat up, her pale hair stuck up at all angles, but all her attention was focused on the angel standing at the end of her bed.

"Well, the demon wanted to kill Hope because she is part angel". Castiel didn't say anything else.

"What do you mean "part angel" Cas?", Dean growled.

"She is part angel, part demon and part human. When she was born she was human, but after coming into contact with me, her Grace was awoken and she became part angel, part human. And after the events of tonight, the demon awoke her demon side. I've been instructed to watch over her and keep her safe, as both heaven and hell want her. She has great power, but she has to choose which side to take. She cannot be forced".

"Oh", Hope said softly. On the outside she looked calm, but on the inside her emotions were going crazy. It was as if a heavy weight had been tied around her neck, but also as if it were totally natural. She felt normal.

"My head hurts", she said lamely, because she didn't know what else to say and she felt like the others wanted her to say SOMETHING.

"That is because your body has been through a sudden change. It doesn't know how to react yet".

"Oh", Hope said again.

She stared at Castiel, "So what now? Will you teach me how to use this "great power" because I feel exactly the same".

Her grey eyes bored into the Castiel's blue ones with surprising force.

"Soon. You haven't finished the transition. The next couple of days, I imagine, are not going to be pleasant".

"Oh".

Dean looked at Hope, Hope looked at the faded blue doona that smelt of booze and cigarettes. She didn't mind the smell anymore, in fact she kind of liked it now.

"Are you going to say anything OTHER than 'Oh'?", Dean asked sounding exhusted.

Just then something in Hope snapped, "Well, what the fuck do you want me to say? I'm not a HUMAN anymore and I have no fucking clue what's happening!". She slammed her hand over her pale lips, "I am so sorry. I don't know what just happened".

The hunters looked at Cas, "She is going to be a bit... emotional" and with a sad smile he was gone.