Chapter Seventeen

Hope heard the rustle of feathers, then Castiel was in the bathroom with her. She stepped backwards into the bathtub to give Cas some room and stared at him expectanly.

Cas wrung his hands in worry,

"Well," he began, his deep gravelly voice sounding apologetic, "Now your Grace has been awoken you have wings".

"I can see I have wings! But, a little warning would have been nice". Her wings were small and light grey, the same colour as her eyes. They had millions of tiny black speckles all over and shimmered as the harsh light shone on them. She uncrossed her arms and looked the angel in the eye. "It scared me. I mean, before this it was a bit like a game. I was a part angel, part demon, human with power that heaven and hell would kill for. But now, I don't know, seeing those wings, MY wings. It made it so much more real".

"I am sorry", Castiel said. Seeing Hope scared for the first time reminded him she wasn't another angel like him, she was human as well, and he needed to be carefull if he didn't want her to side with Lucifer. Apparently he'd been staring at Hope for a while because she looked uncomfortable.

"Uh, Castiel?"

"Yes Hope?", he replied, his throat feeling strangly dry.

"Can I, uh, have my shower?".

"Oh, yes. Uh, sorry. I will just, um, go now". Cas took one last look at Hope and flew away.

Castiel landed on the motel's roof. He closed his eyes, only to see Hope's glittering grey eyes behind his eyelids. They were beautiful, and Castiel had to remind himself that the delicate black that laced around the silver wasn't supposed to be beautiful. It was supposed to reflect just how dark their true form was. He couldn't allow himself to forget what she was, no matter how that awkward smile of hers made his stomach feel, or how much he wanted to comfort her when her fear was spelled out so clearly across her face. Castiel wasn't supposed to feel like this, he was an angel. Angels didn't get butterflies. They didn't have emotions like this, emotions just got in the way. He stood up, and rolling his shoulders back, Castiel stretched his wings out and flew away.