Chapter Nine

Tigerstar left the camp, accompanied by Scourge. He decided he'd go to RiverClan first, seeing as that was the closest Clan to TigerClan. He looked down at Scourge, and once again thought there was something familiar about the black tom.

I couldn't have met him before, Tigerstar told himself. I don't remember seeing such a small cat. Why would Scourge even come into the forest without my invitation? He saw Scourge staring back at him.

"Why are you staring at me?" the BloodClan leader questioned. "Do you have a problem with me?"

"No, of course not," Tigerstar replied. "I was just thinking of something, that's all." He stopped walking to see Cloudpaw ahead of him. "Why are you here, Cloudpaw?" Cloudpaw got a fright and whipped around.

"I was just chasing after a mouse and then I lost it," Cloudpaw replied. "I didn't mean to go into your territory." He had a deep cut on his side, as if some cat had attacked him. A dog must have got him, Tigerstar thought.

"It's just that cat that thought I was prey and jumped out at me," Scourge mewed. "I gave him that scar."

"You did?" Tigerstar sounded surprised. Surely a small cat couldn't cause that much of a scar? Scourge nodded, and unsheathed his claws. His claws, much to Tigerstar's surprise, were reinforced with dog teeth.

"Don't underestimate me, Tigerstar," Scourge said. "I am powerful for such a small cat-and deadly." Only because you have dog teeth claws, Tigerstar thought. How the StarClan could you get them in your paws, anyway?

"I can see that," Tigerstar mewed. "But I am quite a deadly cat myself." Scourge just stared at him, saying nothing. "I'm the fiercest fighter in the forest."

"But not with me around," Scourge mewed. "I could kill a cat in one blow." Are you trying to show off in front of me? Tigerstar wanted to ask Scourge but didn't. You can't compare to me. He noticed Cloudpaw's eyes were full of fear as he stared at Scourge.

Coward, being scared of a cat smaller than you. He's the size of a kit! Tigerstar thought with anger. He felt like laughing at Cloudpaw for being scared of some kit.

"Get out of our way or else I'll give you another scar," Scourge hissed. Cloudpaw blinked and then nodded, beginning to walk away. Tigerstar watched and then continued walking. He began smelling the fishy scent of RiverClan up ahead and saw Scourge wrinkling his nose in disgust from the corner of his eye.

"This Clan sure like their fish," Scourge mewed. "They smell worse than your Clan."

"Thanks, I guess," Tigerstar answered. Soon the two cats crossed into RiverClan's territory, smelling nothing but fish. Scourge leaped forward, making Tigerstar slightly confused, and it turned out he caught a rabbit. He must know how to hunt, Tigerstar thought as he stared at Scourge. The rabbit must have crossed into RiverClan's territory.

Scourge turned and saw something clouding up in Tigerstar's eyes. The rabbit lay limp in his jaws and he then dropped it onto the ground.

"Are you surprised I can hunt?" he asked. "BloodClan do not get fed by Twolegs. We hunt for ourselves. You must know Jaggedtooth, I assume."

"Jaggedtooth? He was part of BloodClan like Boulder?" Tigerstar asked, surprised. Although Tigerstar had hardly seen Jaggedtooth in ShadowClan, he just assumed Jaggedtooth had been a loner.

"Of course. He came back from ShadowClan from time to time and taught me how to hunt. I haven't actually had a chance to hunt until now. Jaggedtooth would normally bring prey from the forest to me," Scourge replied.

"You've been prey-stealing from the Clans," Tigerstar growled. "No wonder there's hardly any prey nowadays."

"Jaggedtooth only ever returned with stuff he says "can only be found in ShadowClan". Since when did he steal from your TigerClan?"