Chapter Ten

Featherpaw saw Stormpaw and Hawkpaw glaring at each other from the other side of the clearing. She let out a sigh, guessing there was some sort of rivalry between the two toms. "You should try getting along," Featherpaw suggested to her brother. "You might be the best of friends." 

"No way!" Stormpaw replied. "Hawkpaw and I will never be friends. He sneered about us in front of the whole Clan!" 

"Don't let it get to you," Featherpaw mewed softly. "Hawkpaw isn't worth getting angry at even though he's Tigerstar's son." Stormpaw let out a sigh. 

"It's just that cats think I'm better off in RiverClan because our mother was a RiverClan cat," Stormpaw sighed, looking away from Hawkpaw. "I just want to feel like a cat of TigerClan despite being half-Clan." 

"Hi!" Sorrelkit squealed, bouncing slightly on the spot. Featherpaw's blue eyes lit up with warmth as she stared at the tortoiseshell-and-white she-kit. 

"Hello, Sorrelkit," she returned the kit's greeting. "What's happening that makes you so excited?" 

"I'm going to be six moons in a few sunrises!" Sorrelkit replied. "I'll be joining you in the apprentices' den with Sootkit and Rainkit!" 

"I don't think that'll happen just yet," Stormpaw told the kit. "Tigerstar said he'd only make --" 

"Apprentices warriors," Featherpaw interrupted. "He never said anything about kits becoming apprentices." 

"Sootkit told me you thought he was pretty," Sorrelkit mewed to Featherpaw, trying to stifle laughter. Featherpaw blinked. 

"When did I say that?" Featherpaw questioned, sounding confused.  

"Brokentail and Tigerstar are the least pretty cats ever. Any cat looks better than them without even trying," Stormpaw mewed. 

"I heard that!" a voice full of anger rasped. The apprentices turned their heads, seeing Brokenstar, who was crawling towards them, his blank eyes just staring ahead of him.  

"He should be renamed Brokenlegs," Stormpaw whispered, giggling slightly. "It looks like he lost track of how to use his legs as well as how to see!" Featherpaw shot Stormpaw a silencing glare. Although Brokenstar was a really bad cat, Featherpaw didn't like how Stormpaw made comments about him. 

Featherpaw was just that kind of cat that didn't like it when cats were teased - she would never do that, unlike Stormpaw. 

"Sorry, evil one," Stormpaw replied to the elder. "I never thought an elder could be a bad cat until you came along." 

"If I weren't blind I'd claw your fur off so you'd look like a rat's tail," Brokenstar spat. "You wouldn't be laughing now, would you?" 

"I can just go to the Carrionplace and ask for some rats with no fur," Stormpaw answered. "How may we help you now, former leader?" 

"You could help by shutting your mouth," Brokenstar replied. "Would you like to hear something interesting?" 

"I guess," Featherpaw replied with hesitation.  

"Tigerstar is taking over all the Clans," Brokenstar began. "He told me so. I believe he's going to force RiverClan and WindClan into making them join his Clan. Sorrelkit, here's some treats for you for listening to the elder's." Brokenstar held out some delicious looking red berries in his paws. 

Featherpaw was surprised he could even pick anything up since he was blind. Sorrelkit stared at the red berries, licking her lips, while Featherpaw got this foreboding feeling flood through her like a river flooding the forest.