Chapter Fifteen

Leopardfur was walking back and forth outside the leader’s den. She began to grow worried about Crookedstar. Although TigerClan and WindClan had returned to their camps Crookedstar was not seen. Could the RiverClan tom really be dead?

Leopardfur’s head lifted as she saw Mistyfoot and Stonefur walking into the camp with Crookedstar’s body but sadness took over her. Crookedstar did not seem to move a single bit and she walked down to the two warriors.

“Crookedstar is alright, isn’t he?” she asked. “He is going to be alive?”

“No,” Stonefur replied. “He’s dead. He was attacked by TigerClan but would have fought like a honourable warrior.” Leopardfur gave a nod. Should I really be a leader? I mean, it feels like only a sunrise ago I was made deputy. . . And Tigerstar. . .

“I’m really sorry we couldn’t do anything to help Crookedstar,” Mistyfoot mewed.

“Whoever killed him will suffer greatly,” Stonefur added darkly. “No cat kills Crookedstar and gets away with it.”

“We cannot avenge his death,” Leopardfur answered. “I cannot afford to lose any cat to TigerClan.”

***

Leopardfur had arrived at the Moonstone with Mudfur. She felt anxiety tingle in her paws as she stared at the glowing stone. “It’ll be okay,” Mudfur mewed reassuringly. “The experience with StarClan is amazing.”

“I bet it would be,” Leopardfur sighed. “I’m just. . . I feel bad about Crookedstar dying. Maybe if I convinced him to change his mind the battle wouldn’t have happened.”

“You couldn’t do anything,” Mudfur replied. “Once Crookedstar’s made his mind up he won’t change it. He just wanted what was best for RiverClan, really.” Leopardfur nodded. “Now – press your nose against the stone while lying down.”

Leopardfur obeyed; she lay down and touched her nose to the cold stone, shivering slightly. She then closed her eyes and reopened them heartbeats later. She found herself in a clearing and starry pelts began to show up.

Looking around, Leopardfur could see how some of them looked familiar. “Are you ready to receive your lives?” Looking ahead of her she was relieved to see Crookedstar.

“I’m sorry --”

“It’s not your fault,” Crookedstar interrupted. “It was my time to die.” He stepped back and at once  

 Shimmerpelt, her foster mother, stepped out.

“With this life I give you justice,” she began. “Use it well as you judge the actions of others.” A bolt of pain shot through Leopardfur as she was given her first life. Shimmerpelt retreated and a ginger-and-white she-cat Leopardfur could not recognise took her place.

“I’m your mother, Leopardfur,” the she-cat mewed. Brightsky! Brightsky had died from an illness after she was born. Leopardfur never knew who her mother was but felt glad she did now. Mudfur, the medicine cat of RiverClan, was her father.

“With this life I give you compassion,” Brightsky went on. “Use it well for the elders of your Clan, and the sick, and all those weaker than yourself.” Another bolt of pain shot through Leopardfur but she endured it better.

Whiteclaw, Leopardfur’s former apprentice who had fallen over the gorge after fighting against Greystripe, stepped out. His eyes were full of warmth and Leopardfur felt happy to see him. “With this life I give you love,” he mewed. “Use it well, for all cats in your care.” He began to walk away after giving Leopardfur her third life.

“With this life I give you mentoring,” Whitefang, Leopardfur’s former mentor, began. “Use it well to teach the young cats of your Clan.”

“With this life I give you protection,” Sunfish, one of Leopardfur’s friends who had taught her how to overcome her fear of water, mewed. “Use it well for your Clan as a mother cares for her kits.”

“With this life I give you tireless energy,” Oakheart, the pervious deputy, mewed. “Use it well to carry out the duties of a leader.”

“With this life I give you loyalty to what you know right,” Silverstream began. Though Leopardfur was angry at the silver she-cat for being Greystripe’s mate, the once anger had vanished. “Use it well to lead your Clan.”

Lastly Crookedstar stepped out. “With this life I give you nobility, certainty and faith. Use it well as you lead RiverClan through the ways of StarClan and the warrior code. I hail you by your new name, Leopardstar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you to the guardianship of RiverClan. Defend it well; care for the young and old; honour your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity.”

“I will,” Leopardstar promised, dipping her head in respect to the former leader. “But what about TigerClan?”

“Follow your heart and you’ll know the right choice,” Crookedstar answered. “Good luck, Leopardstar.” The clearing began to fade from Leopardstar’s vision and she opened her eyes, waking up to reality.