Chapter Five

Greystripe stared at Sandstorm as she was talking with Cinderpelt. For some reason Fireheart was not with her-- in fact, he wasn't even in the Clan for a while. He began to think something bad had happened to his old friend.

"Hey, Sandstorm!" Sandstorm's ear twitched and she turned to look at Greystripe. She said something to Cinderpelt and began walking towards him.

"What is it? Cinderpelt and I were talking about something." Sandstorm sounded annoyed although there was a hint of sadness in her voice.

"What happened to Fireheart?" Greystripe questioned. "I haven't seen him all sunrise."

"That no good cat was caught by Longtail and Swiftshadow," Sandstorm replied. "Tigerstar most likely killed him by now."

"If he did I'd get all the mice in the forest to kill Tigerstar. I bet he's not too powerful to kill a dozen of them."

"The almighty Tigerstar killed my mice," Gorsepaw meowed, letting out a laugh. "I didn't know he was that weak to be killed by a bunch of mice!" If Tigerstar heard that he would have turned you into crow-food, Greystripe thought.

"I doubt that would happen," Sandstorm said.

"Cheer up, Sandstorm. All the mice in the forest will not come to your paws if you're sad," Greystripe told the pale ginger she-cat.

"What do mice taste like?" Gorsepaw asked with curiosity. "I'm not going off rabbits though."

"Gorsepaw, you have rabbits to be hopping after instead of running after mice," Onewhisker, Gorsepaw's mentor, reminded. "Only ThunderClan cats eat mice."

"I know," Gorsepaw replied. "I was just asking."

"You head over to Runningbrook's patrol. I'll catch up with you in a bit." Gorsepaw nodded and began trotting away happily. Onewhisker turned to look at Sandstorm and Greystripe.

"Have you two seen Fireheart?" he questioned. "I haven't seen him since last sunrise."

"Me too," Greystripe answered. "I have this feeling something bad has happened to him." Onewhisker gave a shrug.

"He could be chasing rabbits all day. I'm sure he'll turn up before the Gathering." He began to walk away, heading over to Runningbrook and Gorsepaw.

Firepaw arrived in RiverClan's territory. He looked around, hoping no RiverClan warrior was around before he proceeded deeper into the territory. Leopardfur will turn me into a fish if she catches me on her territory, he thought with worry as she imagined himself having to deal with the RiverClan deputy.

There was no other cat Firepaw could see in range so he began to trot swiftly forward. He, of course, could only smell fish so far as he tried to avoid rivers. He didn't want to get his fur wet on the journey to Barely's farm. I'm not going to turn into a fish, Firepaw told himself as he stared at the waters near him.

"Hey!" Firepaw skidded to a halt, taken by surprise at the voice that called to him. He turned his head, seeing an apprentice trotting over to him, looking pretty cheerful. "Why are you in my territory, strange-- oh, it's just Fireheart. Whoops."

"I was just needing to go to WindClan to. . . share something with Tallstar," Firepaw replied. He could recognise the apprentice to be Dawnpaw although she didn't look the same as Firepaw could recall.

"Don't steal all of our fish then. Crookedstar might come to your Clan and attack you with one," Dawnpaw meowed.

"Where's your mentor?" Firepaw questioned. It's too dangerous for an apprentice to be out of the camp unguided, especially when there's a gorge in your territory, he added silently. Dawnpaw blinked.