Chapter Fourteen

Fireheart and the gang had begun running downstream to RiverClan as the cats fighting at WindClan’s camp had travelled further down. The scents of TigerClan and WindClan were fresh, and RiverClan mixed with them.

As Fireheart skidded to a halt he saw the fighting cats. Tigerstar was nowhere to be seen so he assumed the dark tabby was further down. Screeches and hisses were heard as claws and pelts clashed, jaws snapping as fur flew about onto the ground.

Fireheart dived into the fighting crowd, looking around for TigerClan’s leader. He stopped as Leopardfur and Longtail went rolling past him. He could see Ferncloud and Dustpelt fighting together while Whitestorm fought near them.

How long has this battle been going on for? Fireheart asked himself. He and the former TigerClan cats decided to join into the battle. Although Barley was told not to fight the loner still joined in, willing to take part in a battle that wasn’t his.

As Fireheart trekked forward, dodging and slipping through fights. Deadfoot the WindClan deputy was trying to fight off Blackstar but the white tom only kept taunting him about his twisted paw. Fireheart saw Russetfur coming from behind Deadfoot and she sprung.

Fireheart leapt forward and rolled onto his back. He remembered what Bluestar had taught him during his apprenticeship and began to time Russetfur as she got closer. Now! Fireheart kicked his paws into the air, feeling them hit Russetfur’s belly, and sent the russet she-cat flying.

Deadfoot’s head turned as Fireheart began to get onto his paws. As Fireheart stared at the black deputy he saw Deadfoot looking thankful for his help and began focusing on Blackstar. Fireheart continued forward and as he did there became less numbers of warriors.

Tigerstar was now in Fireheart’s sight. He was walking slowly behind boulders, his amber eyes peering out at Crookedstar. Crookedstar was fighting against Swiftshadow and Mousefur, looking exhausted. Three against one isn’t fair!

The two TigerClan cats did not see the ginger tom so Fireheart hid in a bush. Every fur on him told him that he had to help Crookedstar before he got hurt. But diving out there could be like a death wish.

“By the time you’re dead Tigerstar would have taken over your pathetic fish Clan,” Swiftshadow hissed at Crookedstar as he and Mousefur circled around him. “Maybe if you and Tallstar weren’t stubborn kits you would be spared. Then you might have to be called Crookedjaw though.”

Tigerstar sprung from a gap in the rocks and Crookedstar’s head turned, his eyes going wide. Tigerstar slashed his sharp claws out and landed onto the ground on all paws. Swiftshadow’s eyes gleamed while Mousefur didn’t look too pleased.

Crookedstar’s legs shook before he fell to the ground with a thud. Tigerstar’s head looked to the RiverClan leader and approached him. He lifted a paw up and prodded the pale tabby at the side. There was no movement and horror struck through Fireheart. Crookedstar was dead.

“I want you two to go now,” Tigerstar told his two warriors. “Your service is not required here.” His attention was completely fixed onto Crookedstar and Fireheart wondered what was on his mind.

Without thinking about anything Fireheart sprung and Tigerstar dodged. The TigerClan leader whipped around and his fierce gaze met Fireheart’s. “So you saw me killing old Crookedstar. I was expecting you to attend the greatest battle in history.”

“It won’t be so great when you’re dead,” Fireheart replied. “You’ve caused too much bloodshed alrea --”

“Save the talk for when you’re in StarClan, kittypet,” Tigerstar interrupted. “I get you wish Bluestar was still alive but right now that stupid flea-pelt is dead. Gone forever. You couldn’t prevent that she-cat from dying even if you were there.”