Chapter 4 - Obliviate

***

A month had passed since I was branded with a skull that symbolized everything I didn't stand for. As much as it disgusted me, I couldn't make that opinion known. In order to stay alive I had to be one of them, I had to blend in with the dark life now. How does one so easily pretend to be something their not? Well if your life is on the line, you would do just about anything. You would sacrifice just about anything, even you're own moral code.

Since that first meeting with my father and his death eaters, I hadn't seen him since - or many other death eaters in-fact. So just as before, I was left in the company of Bellatrix, Rockwood and now the Malfoys - but the latter I was forbidden to talk to under all circumstances. 

I now lay in bed as I contemplated my new situation, pondering over the events that transpired over the last few weeks - the most recent memory of mine taking centre-stage. Just a few minutes ago I had been training with Bellatrix like I had been everyday for the last month. Today however went slightly different, today I had been forced to torture  Leaf who was one of our house elves. Leaf was always nice to me even though I had been forced to do horrible things to her. 

Before a month ago, her and I hadn't interacted much. But slowly that distance begun to shrink and instead we had developed a close bond - something I had found myself unfamiliar with until recent weeks. 

But that was a short lived friendship I guessed, seeing as Leaf and I were caught talking - which went against Bellatrix's warning just last week. Immediately Bellatrix ordered me to punish Leaf without mercy, a punishment that hurt us both. Knowing that I was the one to perform such an act, had left a foul taste in my throat. But I knew better than to disobey, otherwise Leaf would be forced to endure a harsher punishment, I would instead have to kill her. 

I had tortured so many people, so many muggles in the past few weeks - not just Leaf. Torture was something most saw me quite capable of lately and that led me to question what I was turning into. The way I spoke, the way I acted was so different now. Over the past month I even sounded like one of them.

Those thoughts were what forced tears to fall without restraint, littering my pillow in its saltiness. So often I had to walk around this place wearing a false bravado, appearing unbroken; yet beneath that facade were small fractures of the mind of a young girl. It had only been four weeks, four measly weeks, and somehow I was expected to last in this lifestyle. My fate had two outcomes; become one of them and watch myself fall to their seduction, or wait for my inevitable death. 

As I lay there pondering my options, a deep voice cut through my mind, shunting me right back into reality. 

"Fallon?" A mans voice spoke from beyond my door, his knuckles roughly rapping against the oak frame in an attempt to gain my attention. 

I quickly swiped away any evidence that I had been crying, using my sleeve as a tissue and wiping around my eyes. I hadn't been caught crying yet, and I didn't intend on breaking that streak any time soon. 

"Yes Rockwood?" I asked back, my voice quivering slightly as I attempted to sound more confident that I felt. 

There was a pregnant pause before he replied, and once he had, I wished I had misheard him. 

"Your father summons you," and then he had left, his footsteps retreating and giving no sign that he was going to enter my quarters as he generally had.

With the word of my father and his returning, I froze where I lay. I raised myself up and walked to my door and left quietly.

As predicted no one was behind my door, since I no longer needed guards to keep me trapped in. I was a death eater and welcomed to the chambers as I wished for meetings. As I walked I held my wand in my hand closely, I was not going to let it out of my grasp where I could no longer protect myself. Seeing as how if I did not protect myself, then I would have by now endured many more injuries and painful curses.