Chapter 13 - Detention with the pink lady

***

"Please, sit down" spoke Umbridge, as she gestured for both Harry and I to sit down in the seats across from her desk.

As we sat down, I noticed the amount of pink and fluffy interior decorating sprawled throughout her office. She definitely seemed to have a rather unnerving love for cats, which I must admit, were not the most lovely of creatures in my own opinion.

Umbridge went to sit down and it seemed as if Harry and I were going to remain in silence, and in his case, not even acknowledge my existence any further; great.

"You're going to be doing some lines for me today" piped Umbridge, with a sick smile formed largely across her face. I took in her words and looked down at the table in-front of me to find a piece of parchment and a black quill waiting for me.

"You haven't given us any ink" I inquired, wondering why someone of her 'smart' calibre would have forgotten such a crucial writing tool.

"Oh, you won't be needing any ink" she piped once again, and I returned with a slight nod in her direction. I then waited to be told what we would be writing, but she kept silent.

"So what are we supposed to write?" asked Harry rather harshly, going along in time with my train of thought; coincidently I might add.

"Write for me 'I must not tell lies'." she smiled rather falsely. You could see right through her defined wrinkles that she was enjoying this a little too much; it was all around sick.

Both Harry and I went to protest at her request, but before we even had the chance, she cut us off.

"Write!" she yelled, raising her voice louder than I had expected or thought necessary.

At her harsh words, Harry and I both begun to write with quills that seemed to require no ink. I had barely written the word must when I started feel a burning sensation through my left hand at its forefront. I looked down at my hand and could read the inscription I mu trailed across my hand surrounded by red marks that appeared to look like severe burns. I turned to Harry and it seemed that even he had similar burns to mine, but he had completed the entire sentence, leaving it all engraved into his skin.

"Problem?" asked Umbridge, seemingly not caring whatsoever about the pain she had caused. She seemed falsely oblivious to the burns entrenched into our skin, which I assumed was most definitely going to be permanent.

"No, no problem at all" I stuttered, taken aback at her cruel nature.

I knew I had been cruel once upon a time, but such malice was not something I had expected to experience from a Hogwarts teacher, let alone a member of the Ministry of Magic.

The next hour or so passed along quickly and the pain never subsided as both Harry and I sat quietly seething in pain. We had to sit and endure writing the words over and over, with each and every time going over the original burn imprinted into our skin. We had to feel the burn, the pain, the uncomfortable feeling countless times, with no way to avoid such cruelty.

Once the hour was over, Harry and I left in a hurry with no questions or objections. We got out of that room before that horrid woman could stop us, and it seemed she wasn't going to as she remained seated in her throne-like pink chair.

We walked down the corridor hurriedly with neither of us daring to speak up; neither of us game enough to bring up the events that just played out minutes prior. All I could do was soothingly massage the burn alongside my hand, trying to find some way to relieve the pain for it was so unbearable.