Chapter 12 - A Place To Hide

***

I had no idea how to react; I had no idea what to do.

I finally found him; I finally found Severus Snape and somehow him being here at Hogwarts was definitely not on my list. This man had at one point nearly ended my life by accident or saved it somehow, I didn't understand it all. When I was in my darkest place, he somehow found a way to help me. He could still turn his back on me here and now though. Here he could leave to my father and I would have no power to stop him, he could very quickly tell my father where I was.

But this single man- this crooked nosed oily haired man could most definitely ruin the life of what I had tried so hard to create here. I have just had to deal with Draco and now another death eater, and none other than one of my fathers most loyal. Yeah, life wasn't taking a great turn at the moment. I could have sworn that luck was really not on my side.

For Severus Snape to be here at Hogwarts could only be the formula for trouble. Would he instantly run back to my father? And here I thought that Hogwarts was supposed to be a safe place for all those magical; mainly the young learning witches and wizards of this era.

But no, right under the nose of the headmaster was a death eater. A follower of my father was right here in the school and here he acted as if it were his rightly place. None of the people here had any idea and if only Harry Potter knew how close he came to a death eater; to a supporter of the man that murdered his parents. The parents that ultimately led to the demise of Lord Voldemort, which indirectly made Harry Potter famous at the mere age of a young infant. He was the boy who lived.

I looked up at Severus. He had no emotion amongst any of the lines across his face; as his face was expressionless and near unable to read. He just seemed near plain and mysterious which was one thing I could not deal with all too well.

"Sorry for being late sir" I spoke somewhat confidently keeping my gaze locked onto him timidly.

"I'd do well to make sure that it does not happen again" he retorted before turning back to the class, who all seemed rather interested in this little conversation between the professor and myself. Not that their bubbling potions that seemed near toxic required their attention whatsoever; agh dimwits.

"If I come back" I whispered to myself, which I thought was hopefully not too loud. But unfortunately I seemed to of spoken a little louder than a mere whisper as I had hoped.

"No Miss Gaunt, you will make a return to my class next lesson. I'd hate to give you a detention on the first week of your schooling here" he sneered. He by now did not seem all too fazed in talking to me. He seemed in near loss of interest, aside from his clear dislike to my attitude. However he was acting somewhat strange, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

After our little show down or whatever you wanted to call it, I went to go and sit down next to Harry and the others. But before I could even take my first step, that gosh darn potions teacher of mine stopped me in my tracks with his patronizing venomous words.

"You may be finished Miss Gaunt, or think we are. But I certainly am not. Care to answer this for me, why were you so late?" He continued, man did this guy ever give up?

This certainly made me feel internally conflicted. I had a problem here, as I was late because of dear old Draco. Now I couldn't exactly go ahead and turn him in, that would just lead to further problems for myself.

"I got lost" I replied not exactly confidently, and it wouldn't take an idiot to realize that I was lying through my teeth.

"You don't sound so sure of yourself Mias Gaunt. You wouldn't be lying to me would you?" He questioned, probing me for more information.