Chapter Eight

Hazel

I felt numb, whether that was from the fold or from the rejection I couldn't be sure. Honestly I didn't care. I had cried more than I have in my entire life the past hour but it wasn't just because my mate rejected me, it was the loss of my mother, everything that had happened. I wanted to go home. I brought my knees to my chest and breathed deeply, I have never felt so alone. I jumped when I suddenly heard some sort of russleing sound. "H-hello?" I called out, honestly scared.

I almost cried with relief when I seen Sage and Cole pop out of the bushes but I couldn't move. Sage rushed over to me and wrapped his arms around me. "Haz what the hell were you doing out here? My goddess your so cold!" He Said worridly as he gently slipped his arm behind my knees and my back thrn lifted me to his chest. I cuddled into he warmth he offered, hiccuping slightly. An unfortunate after effect of crying to hard.

"Is she hurt?" I heard Cole's worried voice message hen felt Sage shake his head bit I was too tired to talk for myself. I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth not realizing I'd pass out.

When I work I felt drained, I looked around noticing that I was back in my temporary room. Then I noticed Sage sitting in a chair next to me. "Sage?" I said confused.

Sage jumped up from the chair and rushed over to me, his hand touched my forehead and he sighed. "You had me worried sick!"

I blinked, "I'm sorry?"

Sage sagged, hen sat on the be looking very serious. "Hazel you we're out for three days. You had a raging fever." I blinked, shocked. "Alpha Angus was just as worried and so is your father." Sage flinched mentioning my father but I again didn't have time to respond before Sage spoke again. "He said we can come back after-"

I was momentarily happy when he said we could go home then became uneasy. "After what?"

Sage's eyes held a bit of sadness but he covered it with a smile. "After your first shift."

I gasped, "I- how do you know?"

"The pack doctor. You met your mate?" He asked, curious.

I know he didn't know but my chest twisted in pain. I looked down at my hands, fighting back the pain. "Haz whats wrong?" Sage's voice vroke through.

I shook my head and let out the breath I hadnt realized I was holding. "I- I don't have a mate. Not anymore." I watched Sage frown and decided to explain before he asked. "He rejected me." I whispered.

Sage's eyes instantly filled with so much fury and rage it shocked and slightly scared me. "WHAT? Why? Who is it?" He shot off.

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter, does it? It doesn't change that it happened or what he did." I blinked the tears away, and Sage took a moment to calm himself by breathing deeply. He grabbed my face gently in his hands, his eyes filled with sadness for me, but there was still rage in there.

"He isn't worthy of you Haz." He whispered.

I just sighed shakily, then the door suddenly burst open and I froze when Malachy's scent hit me. I looked over Sage's shoulder and the blood drained from my face when I seen the rage in his eyes. Sage looked at my face then at Malachy the back at me. Recognition flashed and Sage turned his fury on my mat- ex-mate.

"YOU!" Sage growled. I grabbed Sage's hand. "Sage don't. It doesn't matter any more. Please." Sage shook with hostility but he slowly calmed down. He looked down at me for a moment then back at Malachy who looked at Sage as if he wanted to kill him and at me in disgust. I flinched, feeling the hurt. Lexi whimpered in pain.

"What do you want?" Sage asked.

I cut off whatever Malachy had been about to say. I was going to be queen and even though it hurt I couldn't let this go on. I was going to be leaving soon, hopefully and I just had to get through a couple more days. "Sage can you leave for a moment."

Sage jerked, then looked down at me. "I don't want to leave you with him."

I smiled up at him slightly, thankful to have a friend like him. "I'll be fine."

Sage looked unsure then went toward the door, pausing by Malachy to glare for a moment before walking out of the room. I turned my attention to Malachy keeping my face emotionless.

"Heard you got sick." He said moving a couple steps closer. I didn't reply, other than raise my brow. "Do you feel better?" He asked.

I was shocked that he'd even ask but kept my face straight. "Doesn't matter. I know why your here but unfortunately for you and for myself I can't accept yet. Give me another two days or so and I'll give you want you want."

Malachy sneered at me, "why because you think I'll change my mind."

I shook my head sadly, "no I don't. I have my own reasons and not everything is about you." I said with a glare.

He seemed shocked then growled and stepped forward. Cole burst into the room and grabbed Malachy's shoulder. "What the fuck are you doing?"

Malachy seemed a bit surprised but otherwise stated quiet. Cole turned to me, looking sorry. "I apologise for him. His father will speak to him for this behavior." Cole assured.

I shook my head, slightly amused by Malachy's shocked and confused face. "I don't care. Thanks Cole." I watched as Cole dragged Malachy from the room leaving me alone again.

I breathed shakily, my body felt warm and I hoped the shift would hurry. I was having a hard time staying mad at Malachy. I had a feeling there was a reason for his actions, but I didn't know what. I rolled over and let the exhaustion I felt take over.