Chapter One

Hazel

I stared at the book for many hours a day, and without fail again I sit here continuing to read it, to memorize it. This book was important, very important. It held all the packs, their names, their positions, what territories they held, their secrets. Everything. In the wrong hands, the person could use the information inside to lay siege to the territories and most likely defeat them. But, it didn't just hold the pack's information, it held the King and Queens as well. It was dangerous and though I personally believe it should be destroyed my father had insisted it would be safe as long as I didn't leave it laying around and that I placed it back in the safe once I was done with it.

I turned page after page, not even halfway through the book before I was interrupted by my one and only friend, Sage. He walked into the room, his brow was quirked in curiosity but I simply shut the book and pulled it to my chest. I trusted Sage more than anyone, but even as much as I trusted him I couldn't allow him to read the book. He seemed to know exactly what I was doing once I had the book to my chest, protected by my arms.

"Ahh reading 'The Book' again?" Sage shook his head at my sheepish expression. "Haz you need to have fun. Sitting in your room all day reading isn't a way for someone to live." Sage was so dramatic sometimes but that's what made me love him more. Sage sat in the chair next to mine, and I stood and walked to the safe, placing the book in my hand lingered on it for a moment before shutting the door and locking it.

"I have duties Sage, you know this." I began but then grinned silently to myself, as my back was still to Sage. "Besides, father has forbidden me from going downstairs because he doesn't trust me not to peek into the ballroom as I pass." I found it difficult to hold my laughter in.

Sage didn't hold his laughter in, he laughed hard and hearty. "Of course. I forgot they were setting up for your birthday tomorrow in the ballroom. Good for your father, because we both know that you'd go peek."

I turned gasping in fake hurt, I covered my heart with my hand and stared wide-eyed at my friend. "Sage! How could you even think I'd do that?" I demanded in mock anger. Sage simply shook his head at my act and motioned for me to come sit down. I sighed in defeat and moved to my previous chair. "Sage, I'm so bored in this room. There isn't anything to do but read and as much as I love to read, I want to do so much more. I- my wolf is restless." I admitted.

Sage looked at me with sympathy. "Haz, tomorrow is a very important day. You'll be eighteen and legally you'll be able to take over the throne, not to mention you'll be able to find your mate. Your father wants it to be a surprise. One day. That's all you have to bare is this one day." He reached over and patted my hand, before wrapping his fingers around and giving my hand a comforting squeeze.

I sighed, knowing he was right. I just had to make it this one day and then I could walk freely and not worry about what my father has planned. I held Sage's hand tightly, not once feeling uncomfortable. If I didn't know that Sage had found his mate, then I would have wondered if he was mine. He was perfect for anyone. Sweet, gentle, understanding, compassionate, he was everything that I imagined a mate to be. And, it pained me daily to see him hurting. He never said, but when his mate had been killed he had closed himself off. Though this had all happened before I really knew him, I still saw him and what it had done to him. A piece of him had left him, and nothing would bring that missing piece back.

"Sage, how are you doing?" I asked hesitantly. I didn't want to bring up bad memories but I needed to know if he was okay. He was my best- my only friend and I'd do anything for him as long as it was within my power.

Sage smiled at me sadly, and the look made my heart clench in sadness. "I'm fine Haz. I don't think I'll ever be perfect again, but I'm as good as I can be. I promise you don't have to worry about me so much. You should think about yourself, and all that's going to happen tomorrow. A lot of people will be here and who knows you may find your mate anytime through the day!" He seemed so excited about the idea that I couldn't help but be saddened.

He as well as I knew, that if or when I find my mate a lot of my time will be taken and I'll be balancing between taking over the thrown and spending time with my mate. I didn't want to leave my friend behind or make him feel alone while I was happy. I leaned forward without warning and hugged Sage tightly. "You'll always be my number one friend Sage. And no matter what happens I'll always be here for you."

Sage hugged me back tightly, I could feel his smile against my neck and I wanted to imagine it as a happy smile I knew that it was sad. I was sure he was worried about what the future would bring just as much as I was. But, what happens will happen and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

"I love you, Hazel," Sage whispered into my neck, and for a moment I was sure I wasn't supposed to hear him.

*
*

So what do you think of the first chapter? I wanted to put so much more but I didn't want to give everything off at once... So hope this sounds good.