Chapter Eleven: September 11th, 2001 ||When the World Stopped Turning||

I had arrived the night before in New York and was now resting in my hotel room when there was a knock on my door. I got up to answer the door with sleepy eyes and a headache from Alfred's rant on the phone. Looking through the peep-hole on my hotel room door, I quickly tried to look more awake. Standing on the other side of the door was York. The two of us are really good friends and I try to visit him any chance I get.

"Emily! It's 7:00 a.m. and the meeting starts at 8:00 a.m.! I figured we could get something to eat before heading to the meeting! Does that sound good?"

The door sudden swung open. While York was talking me, I quickly got dressed and ready. I was wearing a knee length blue bikini-strap dress.

"Let's get going York!" I grabbed York by the hand and rushed him to the elevator.

"This is unusual. You're usually not this energetic this early in the morning Emily. What's going on?" York rubbed his wrist from my strong grip.

"I'm actually not that energetic, my head hurts like hell from Alfred's rant last night and I just want to do a good job at this meeting for my brother."

The elevator dinged letting York and I off on the first floor.

"So....where are we going for breakfast?" I asked while hearing a slight rumbling in my stomach.

York flagged down a taxi and opened the door for me.

"I thought I'd take you to a place near the North Tower. So, we don't have to go that far when it's time to head over to the meeting. Sounds good?"

"Yep, sounds good!"

York took me to a small cafe for breakfast as we sat there Alfred was on his way to the World Meeting but was still worried out of his mind about me. Alfred's attention seemed to be somewhere else during the beginning of the meeting until Ludwig Beilschmidt (Germany) barked at him.

"America!"

Alfred looked around to see everyone looking at him.

"What's wrong America? Thinking about Emily?" Veliciano Vargas (North Italy) asked but at the same time was doing his own thing.

"She didn't call me this morning and last night she hung up on me." Alfred sighed and slammed his head on the table.

"You were probably talking her ear off and she just got sick and tired of hearing your voice, so she hung up." Roderich Edelstein (Austria) chimed in, making Alfred feel even worse.

"Let's just get on with the meeting!" Ludwig tried to get the meeting to continue.

York and I had just finished our breakfast and was heading over to the North Tower for the meeting which was on the 70th floor. The time was 7:50 only giving us ten minutes before the meeting started.

"I told you not to order so much food! Now you're going to have a stomachache while the meeting is going on and we're going to be late because of you!" I scolded York as I pulled him along behind me.

"I'm sorry..."

Dragging York through the lobby of the North Tower to one of the elevators I pressed the button for the 70th floor. When the elevator dinged, and the doors slid opened I continued to drag York to the meeting room. Making it just before the meeting was about to start. The meeting was starting off too slow for my taste. Practically board out of my mind I looked down at her watch. It read 8:44. Looking at the glass of water that sat in front of me, I started to see ripples forming in the glass. The whole room started to vibrate like something was trying to shack the building, making everyone look around.

A shadow reflected off the South Tower and I knew what it was, and a bad feeling washed over me. I had to do something. As I looked down at my watch again there was a sudden crash from above, making the ceiling above us give out. York sudden grabbed me before the ceiling could crush the two of us. Running out of the room to the staircase we ran as fast as they could down 50 floors (if you can believe it), the stairs suddenly gave way, sending York and I falling 10 more floors.

I opened my eyes to find myself lying next to an unconsciousness York. I could feel a pain in my leg. Carefully I look down to see a metal rod going through it.

"York?..." He didn't answer me. I could see blood starting to pool from York's head.

The pain was now starting to really hit me. My eyes started to become heavy as I thought about the only person I wanted to be with me.

"Alfred..."