44. Free at last

“What do you mean by that?” Takeda said to the class.

“Well, isn’t it obvious? From nerd to cool guy. It’s quite a transformation. What gives?” a classmate said.

“Minami-san helped me. That’s all. Anyway. Sensei, I think you’re not feeling well. I’ll take you to the Infirmary.” Takeda said, taking Itoh-sensei. She looked rather frail. Was what I said really made her that shocked?

They left the room. The class chattered.

“What exactly happened? And before, Minami-san said about doing things since the beginning. What was that about, Minami-san?” a girl asked.

“Ah! He likes her. That’s why he changed.” I said, returning to my sit.

“You okay?” Eri-kun asked.

“Uhn! Thanks for saving me. That was cool.” I grinned. He chuckled.

“Still, even if his looks have changed, his brains won’t do the same.” Someone commented.

“Don’t underestimate him.” Ran said, dryly.

“Huh?” The class wondered.

“By the way, why didn’t you say anything earlier?” I asked Ran.

“It was too troublesome.” She answered.

“Mori-san, what exactly do you mean?” a classmate asked.

“He’s someone who suffers in inferiority complex. Once that’s gone, he can compete with any honor student.” Ran said. “Someone who has answered my exam reviewer with more than the passing grade isn’t someone you can underestimate.”

The class felt awed. Ran was talking about her national mock exam reviewers.

“Wait. He did say something about you helping him. When did that happen?” Eri-kun asked me.

“I’ve been coaching him for a week now. I asked for Ran and Kana’s help as well.” I said.

“And Jun, too! He helped in making Takeda get used to good posture and poise.” Kana said.

“Ah! Yes.  Kana and Jun-kun coached Takeda to have a new image while Ran and Ryu-kun tested him mentally.” I said.

“Then what did you do?” Eri-kun asked.

“I taught him Hayao’s characteristics. But of course, it’s still up to him how he can pull it off. It’d be no use if he’d chicken out in the end.” I said.

“Good point.” Eri-kun said.

“I wonder what they’re doing now.” Someone said.

“Maybe they’re—“ they laughed at the possibility.

“No. I don’t think so.” I said. I don’t think Takeda will do it in school. I taught him that.

“Are you sure about that?” They asked.

I shrugged. “Ah! But I’m sure that I’m freed. I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep tonight.” I exhaled.

Classes went by fast. With all the awestruck responses from the class on every intellectual and cool deed Takeda did, time seemed to move rather quickly.

“Ah! Minami-san.” Takeda called. We were already near the gate. Chou waited for us in the car.

“Yes? What is it Takeda?” I said.

“Um—thank you for helping me. Mori-san, Hibino-san and Matsumoto-san as well, thank you. Ah! Mori0-san, please tell Kobayashi-senpai as well.” Takeda said.

“Okay.” Ran said.

“So, what happened between you and sensei?” Kana asked.

“Ah! I think we’ve come to an understanding. Rest assured, Minami-san will not be bothered by her anymore.” He smiled.

“Really? That’s good news.” I smiled. “Well, good luck to both of you.” He nodded and left.

“You’re still having your training? What is it now?” Ran asked.

“Er—tutorials on different classes. The same with what we have in school, only it’s more advanced. And um—“ I checked on my schedule. “It seems I’ll be doing modeling every Saturday and Sundays.”

“Modeling?” Kana repeated.

“Advanced classes—“ Ran’s forehead creased.

Ack! They’re not thinking that I’m taking away their spotlight, right? I’ve got to clear things up before it gets big.

“Yes. It was grandfather’s orders. Anyway, it’s just to prove that I’m really someone they expect me to be. It’s bothersome, really.” I sighed.

“Tsk! It’s a good thing I’m not the Young Miss of my family. Well, if you need help with anything, don’t hesitate to ask.” Ran said.

I nodded.

“Ah! Also, if you need some pointers on modeling, I can help you. Did they enter you in an agency?” Kana asked.

“Erm—Eri-kun, did they say anything about an agency?” I asked Eri-kun.

“Eh? He’ll do it as well?” Kana asked. Ran’s forehead creased again.

“Ah! Yes. But he won’t be having tutorials like I am.” I said. Ran’s face relaxed.

She must’ve thought that it’s too much if Eri-kun will have advanced classes as well. He’s already on a different level.

“Ah—No. They didn’t enter us on any agency. But the modeling is basically to train us in front of the camera. Since the media fussed about everything.” He said. “It’s a good thing your hair returned to blonde. They’ve stopped arguing whether you look better in blonde or black hair.”

We laughed.

“Well, see you tomorrow guys. Chou must be bored already. Bye.” I said to them.

“Yeah! Bye!” They said.

Eri-kun opened the car door for me. We got in and drove off.

That night was the first without receiving any of Sensei’s pictures.