13. The waves

“Hey! Mizzy! Are you doin’ something?” Luke asked.

“Nope. What’s up?” I shouted from the room.

“Hurry up and come down. Let’s go surfing.” He said.

Surfing? Yay!

“I’m coming!” I hurriedly put on my bikini and wore a knitted dress over it.

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” I said in excitement. I didn’t have the chance to surf in Japan because of the sports activities and constant challenges from those guys.

“Ah! Mizzy! Luke!” Uncle John shouted.

“Hi Uncle John! What are you doing?” I asked, my voice was muffled by the waves.

“Ah! I’m teaching this girl here how to surf.” He said. The girl was about the same age as me and was constantly watching Luke. I chuckled. This girl might be having a crush on Luke.

“You know how to surf?” Luke asked me.

“Um—nope.” I said. “But I want to learn.”

“Alright. Come with me.” He said, carrying a surf board.

He showed me the steps on riding the surf board without falling then he let me try it.

“That’s how you basically do it. Let’s try on the water next. But first, let’s put on some sun screen lotion.” He gave it to me after getting a handful and spread it all over his body.

“’ey! Luke! Don’t you think that you’ve put on too much?” Uncle John said.

“Huh? Not at all. I just don’t want to have your tan. I look better without it. And the girls will cry if the fan service is a bit off, don’t you think?” he winked at me.

This guy. Is. Conceited. Isn’t he?

“Come on!” he said, splashing water on himself. I followed.

After falling in the water for a dozen times, I finally got it.

Surfing the waves, with the sun on my skin felt like real freedom. I’ve released all those remaining tensions which I got recently.

And also, about what happened yesterday.

“You ready?” Aunt Jenny asked.

“Uhn!” I said, coming down the stairs wearing my cotton-polyster top from Bob Basics, rayon-acetate skirt from Necessary Objects by Ady Gluck, grosgrain with leather strap purse from Anya Hindmarch, gold vermeil and plum jade earrings from Melanie Auld Designs, suede jacket from All Dressed Up, Lucite and shell pearls cuff by Alexis Bittar and patent leather peep-toes from LAMB.

“Where are we going?” I asked, buckling the seat belt.

“South Bank.” She said, smiling. Then we drove off to who knows where.

“Here we are.” She said.

“Whoa! It’s huge. What is this place?” I asked, amazed.

“This is Brisbane’s culture center, Mizzy.” She said, holding my hand as she led me inside.

We spent hours of looking at paintings. The artists were obviously inspired in their own way. Abstract paintings were fun to watch since I spent time figuring out its message.

The days were spent with Luke, swimming, snorkeling, and surfing.

I laughed to myself as I realize that it’s been more than a week without challenges.

I took a deep breath and surf the waves. I saw Marie, the one who has a crush on Luke, waving her hands. I waved back. She ran.

Huh? What’s got into her?

I saw her again, with Uncle John and Luke. They gathered as if watching me. Luke ran towards the water with his surf board and paddled.

The worried looks on their faces made me realize that something was wrong.

It’s as if time slowed as the waves devoured me and sent me down with it. I could see the light from under. It looked like heaven. A silver-haired angel came and reached for my hand. Bubbles appeared.

Cough! Cough!

“Hey! Mizzy! Mizzy!” Luke’s voice ringed my ears.

“Hmm—Cough!” I could still feel the salty water inside my throat.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his voice full of worry.

I coughed up some water. “I’ll live.” I said as I embraced him tightly.

Luke waved his hands to Uncle John and Marie. “Wave to them so they’ll know you’re alright.” I did.

“I’m so glad you’re here. Thank you.” I said, looking him in the eyes, my arms still locked in his neck.

He sighed. “Yeah. What would happen to you if I wasn’t here?”

“I might have drowned to death.” I said.

“Yeah. The sharks might be having a feast if that happened.” He said. We laughed hard and bumped our heads accidentally.

“Ow! Ow! Ow!”

“Wait. Stop moving. I don’t want to get a head injury from you.” He said, half-joking.

I chuckled.

“Shall we go?” he asked.

“Uhn! But I want to go for another one.” I said.

“Eh? But you must be feeling tired now.”

“Don’t worry. Besides, I don’t know if I’ll get a next time after this.”

“Alright. Let me help you on.” I nodded. He lifted me up and placed me on the surfing board.

I paddled and surfed for as long as I can until I’m satisfied.

“Hey! Mizzy! We should get back now.” Luke said.

Luke really is like my dad. He worries over me all the time.

“Yeah! Yeah! Dad!” I said, teasing him.

“What did you just call me?” he said, eyebrows rising.

I laughed. “Nothing. Dad.”

“Hey! At least demote me from Dad to older brother.” He said, laughing.

“Eh? Really?! I’ve always wanted an older brother. Yay! Let’s go bro!” I said, excited.

We laughed hard while my arm is locked to his and our surf boards at our sides.