3. The Beach

Finally, we’re here.

I breathed in the sea breeze as we stood on the shore. Someone suddenly whistled. I looked to that direction and found Murasaki Sho, our batch mate with his new girl friend.

“Yo!” He said.

“Uh—hi.” I nodded.

“Oh, it’s you.” Ran-chan said.

“Urk! What the--? Ah! Who cares..” He said.

“Murasaki-kun, who are they?” his girlfriend asked, clinging to him with her revealing bikini and big breasts rubbing on his arm. Eek! That girl is just like someone from some H magazine. Murasaki blushed.

“Um—That girl in pink polka dots silk tank and cropped pants is the famous idol, Hibino Kana. That tall girl wearing a yellow silk top and white cotton-lycra shorts is Minami Mizuki. Then that smarty pants whose wearing a navy blue wool cardigan and silk dress is Mori Ran.” He said.

“So very detailed, huh? You really know a lot about what females wear.” Ran-chan said. Ran and Murasaki have always been enemies since fourth grade. It all started when the Murasaki the transferee from the States got envious Ran’s top scores. What can he do when his scores are the lowest?

He chortled. “Here’s my girlfriend, Nobunaga Mayumi.”

“Nice to meet you.” Nobunaga said, dryly.

“Er—yeah. Same here.” I said. I could already sense a weird atmosphere.

“Actually I’m not really familiar with the name Hibino Kana. Maybe you’re not that famous after all.” Nobunaga said. Suddenly, I heard something snap.

“Oh! And she really looks like a smarty pants, huh? Are you like a geek or something? Mori Ran?” Eek! I think this girl’s looking for trouble.

“Hey! Um—Murasaki, are you also here for Kanami’s party?” I’m obviously trying to change the subject.

“Ah—yeah” It looks like Murasaki felt the same way.

“Hey! Are you a foreigner or something? Do you speak well in Japanese? Or maybe you just know a few sentences and nothing else?” Nobunaga said. The atmosphere became colder. I didn’t say anything.

“Ah! As I thought, you’re dumb are you? And those clothes don’t suit you at all. Are you showing off that your tall? It’s not nice to look at.” As she blurted out the words, she smiles. The people around us gathered. Our batch mates found us and watched.

I clenched my fist and gritted my teeth in secret. Any moment now and my patience will run out.

“And what’s up with wearing those dressy clothes in the beach? You don’t have a nice body like mine that’s why you’re ashamed of showing your skin aren’t you?” she chuckled and glared at us. We looked at Murasaki. He gulped. Nobunaga looked at him. “What’s wrong Murasaki-kun?” she asked.

“M-Mayumi-chan, you went too far there.” Murasaki said, nervously. The atmosphere became cold like Mt. Everest.

“Eh? Don’t worry. That girl doesn’t understand at all what I said. And those girls at her side are cowards.”

I chuckled.

“See? She must have thought I complemented her.” Nobunaga said.

“This is hilarious. She kept on going whatever she felt like saying. Hey! Murasaki! I’m a little bit disappointed in you for choosing that kind of girl.” I said in Australian English.

“I know what you mean. I’m really sorry. The truth is I just started going out with her three days ago. She was nice when we first met. I never thought she’s really like this.” Murasaki said in a somewhat amateur kind of English but still understandable.

“Ah—I see. But please, try to teach her some manners.” I said. “Right Ran-chan? Kana-chan?”

“Right!” They both said at the same time.

The crowd laughed.

“Huh? What’s going on?” Nobunaga asked. It seems like she’s didn’t understand our conversation. From how she reacted, she was alarmed when she heard the word ‘right’.

“Ah. It’s nothing.” I spoke in Japanese.

“Well, thank you for giving us an advice though.” Ran-chan said, amused.

“Huh?” Nobunaga wondered.

“You said that we were really dressy on the beach. We’ll take your advice.” Ran-chan said.

“Yeah, I mean it’d be really troublesome wearing these clothes in this heat anymore.” Kana-chan said while taking off her clothes leaving a red-violet Basta Surf bikini.

“Ah hey! That girl is really the famous model and actress Hibino Kana, right?” a girl shouted.

“Ah! You’re right it’s really her! Hey! She recently won an award, right?” another girl said.

“Yeah! I think she was chosen as the newest international model or something.” The girl said.

“Waah! Cool! And she also starred on the best film this year, she was also the best actress of the year” a guy said.

“Looks like you’re known world-wide—eh?—Kana-chan” Ran-chan said, while removing her clothes and revealing a red bikini top with white polka dots and blue-violet bikini bottom with ribbons the same pattern as the top on sides.

“Oooh! Mori-san the all-time National mock exam top notch master is also sophisticated, huh?” Kobayashi Ryu chuckled.

“Shut up, Ryu!” Ran said, hugging Ryu, her boyfriend. He’s a senior and is really popular among boys and girls.

“You too, Mizuki-chan!” Kana-chan jumped on me and briskly removed my clothes.

“W-wha!! Hey!! Kyaaaaaaa! Kana-chan! Now I got sand on my shorts. Geez!” I removed my clothes and left my all-white bikini that showed my curves on.

Kana-chan giggled.

Ran-chan chuckled. They both went to my side, each taking my arm.

“Ah! We might not have humongous breasts like yours but we’re content with what we have as you can see.” Kana-chan said.

“Hey Ryu!” Ran-chan called.

“Yeah Ran?” Ryu said, holding Ran’s hand.

“Should I have a body like hers?” Ran asked. Just now, she just looked way too adorable that the people from the sides began to melt.

“What are you saying Ran? Your body is perfect as it is. I must say, you three look like goddesses.” He laughed.

“Thanks Ryu!” Kana laughed.

“Well, Murasaki. See you later at the party.” I said.

“Um—yeah” Murasaki said.

Kanami and Minamoto appeared with their big grins.

“What’s up? You’re weird Minamoto.” Ryu said. He and Ken are best friends.

“We saw your amazing feat back there.” Ken said, laughing.

Kanami chuckled. “Well, at least you don’t look disgusting.”

Then we turned around.

“Ah! See you at the party Murasaki!” Kanami called out.

We left Murasaki and his dumbfounded girlfriend. But we also heard Murasaki say, “I’ve been downgraded” and sighed. After that, he was trying to comfort his whimpering girlfriend who was throwing a tantrum.

The people who saw followed us, asking for pictures with Kana and also her autographs. Ran and Ryu were so lovey-dovey together. Rena and Ken argued but still looked like a couple together. And I was there in the background, under the rays of the sun and enveloped by the sea breeze, blowing my blond hair.