34. Engagement

My anger was so overwhelming that I used swordsmanship to vent it. I slashed thousands of dummies and fought thousands of opponents. It was when I was defeated by my master that I cooled down.

I was picked up early on Saturday by Chou. Master trained me specially the whole day. It was on sunset when I was finally able to defeat him.

After I took a bath and changed my clothes, I was fetched again. I was brought to the Minami main house. They made me try on some gowns to see if it fits me. After that, I begged them to take me home. I threw myself on the bed, skipped dinner and slept until Sunday noon.

“Mi-chan! Wake up! Get ready. Chou will be here in a while.” Mom said.

“Yes!” I said. I did as I was told and came downstairs as Chou waited outside the car.

“You’ll be there, right?” I asked mom.

“Yeah. You’re dad will pick me up later.” Mom said.

“Okay. I’ll be off.” I said and went.

I found myself in the Minami main house again. The maids hovering over me. My clothes were off and they made me wear a bath robe. The hair stylist and make-up artist came and did their respective jobs. The designer brought in the gown and made me wear it.

I wore a strapless navy taffeta evening gown with embroideries, a Blossom7 shoes, and a black mask.

One by one, the cars drove off to where the party is.

The place is as wide and big as the whole stadium, entering it felt so overwhelming. The inside is like a garden itself. We were led to a room. It was similar to the dance hall you see in fairy tales. I was in awe by just looking at it. But what made me awestruck more is being told that this is owned by Eri-kun. It was a gift from his grandfather. This is where the richest people held their extravagant parties.

“Ladies and gentlemen, let us begin.” The emcee announced. The music was played. The people danced to it. Everywhere I look, I see fabulous dresses. There were women giggling and men laughing. Some talked about business while others chatted about other’s affairs.

I was suddenly pulled to the side by a man in a suit and red mask. He pulled off the mask. I gasped. It was Takeshima.

He pulled me in a tight embrace and kissed me passionately. I silently cried. How could this happen? Why is it that every time we see each other we’ll end up like this? How can two people love each other if they don’t even get to know one another? Kisses like these, I think this is just desires. Lust, it may be called. His tongue explored my mouth as I remained petrified. I would never ever respond to this! Takeshima doesn’t love me. He even let Ai kiss him many times even if we kissed before that. Since when did I become like this? His hand caressing my back and going down to my legs. I knew it! This isn’t love. I’d rather not have anyone than put myself in this nightmare. I bit his tongue. He pulled away.

“Wh-why did you do that for?” he said, blood flowing from his mouth.

“Hateful. Really hateful. Don’t ever show yourself again!” I said and walked away.

I hid myself in a corner and silently cried, without tears. I refuse to look pathetic once this confidence wears off.

I remembered the girls at school.

“Looking at them cry like it’s the end of the world makes them seem weak and vulnerable.” I said to myself.

So I will not make myself into one by giving my heart to someone else.

“Ah! There you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.” Eri-kun said. “Come. It’s time.”

“Yes.” I said and took his hand.

“Ladies and gentlemen! May I have your attention? Tonight’s ball is a celebration.” Konoe Daisuke-san said with grandfather by his side. “My grandson and heir, Konoe Eri and Minami-san’s granddaughter Minami Mizuki—will become one when the time comes.”

“So for short, this is an engagement party, right, Daisuke-san?” grandfather said.

“Right you are, Kyuusuke0-san!” Konoe-san said.

Ugh! They sound like they’re pulling off a joke.

The place was filled with loud applauses. The people congratulated us as Eri-kun slipped the ring on my ring finger.

“Kiss! Kiss!” Some of the guys said.

Ugh! Whatever!

Eri-kun turned to me, cupping my face. He kissed my cheeks long enough. The crowd cheered. They didn’t notice his trick. Well, whatever. This is just for our families’ business.

The emcee announced that the dancing will resume with Eri-kun and I leading.

The party seemed to go long. Then I heard Takeshima’s voice from the side. It alarmed me and I started to run from the corner I stayed in. Through the crowd, Takeshima lost sight of me. I was able to escape, riding the car with Chou driving me home.

“Please tell grandfather that I’m not feeling well. It must be something I ate.” I said to him.

“Yes. Good night, Young Miss.” He bowed.

“Yes. Good night, Chou.” I said. I went inside the house and went up to my room.

I took my clothes off, took a quick bath and wore new clothes. I just pulled out a white shirt and cargo pants. I got my duffel bag and put a few unisex shirts and pants, and some other stuffs. I put in a sandal that looks like a boy’s and my sports shoes.

I checked the window, no one’s around. I left a note in the table saying I’ll be out for awhile and to give me at least three days before taking me back. I’m obviously just saying that I’m not going to run away. Mom knows this.

I went out of the house and locked it with the code.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going?” Eri-kun said, leaning on his motorbike. It startled me. He was wearing his white long-sleeved polo, black slacks and shoes.

“Just to get some fresh air.” I said.

“With that bag?” he said, eyeing the duffel bag.

“Uh-huh. Well, see you later. Au revoir.” I said and walked away.

“Mind giving you a ride?” he said, riding the motorbike.

I thought for a moment. I don’t want him to tag along. But if I left him here, he might call my grandfather. Ugh! This sucks.

“Alright. But it’s not my fault if you’ll regret this later on.” I said, hopping in.

“Put on the helmet.” He said. I did.

Then we drove off.