Chapter 5

*Jo's POV*

My breath hitches in my throat. 

i know we were never 'official' or anything...but...i'm pretty sure we had something there.

the last thing i would've expected was to see my best friend kissing the guy who apparently had his sights set on me. 

i shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. if he was never officially mine, i shouldn't have assumed it. he has every right to be with whoever he wants...

it just hurts that he basically lead me on, only to drop me after he got bored. i shouldn't have made such a stupid,  naiive mistake. i was too naiive to think that i'd have a perfect, jack & rose relationship the instant that i started at this school. the only thing is, i'm realizing that now, instead of keeping my feet on the ground from the moment it started. 

I turn around and weave my way through the sweaty, dancing bodies and out of the room. I can't watch any more. 

Soon I find the door. throwing it open, I let the cool night air nip at my face as I look around, wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do now. 

Oh yeah, Demi is my ride. How convinient.

I decide to just walk; it's not that far from my house anyway. It's not until I stop for traffic before crossing the street that I realize, I've been running. I try to calm my heavy panting and my aching legs. I gasp, placing my hands on my knees as I regain my breath. i'm way too out of shape.

I now realize, looking at Demi's black, sparkly top and jeans, that parties aren't really my thing. never will be. i'm just not a party kind of person, anyway.

 i don't bother looking back, because I know there's nothing for me there. 

*Niall's POV*

Jo abruptly pulls away, taking a couple of steps back. I try to make out her face, but I can't.

God, my vision is blurry. I rub my eyes, but it still doesn't work.

"Niall..." she speaks, so softly and with pity I don't understand, but either way, her voice is so beautiful. 

But...different.

"Niall?" she looks at me, trying to get my attention. I blink a few times, and my vision clears a bit. everything's still blurry as hell, but I can almost see the girl in front of me. 

Long, blonde hair...beautiful brown eyes...

Wait...brown eyes?

I shake my head and blink a couple more times, rubbing my eyes. I stare directly at the girl in front of me, seeing her almost completely clearly.

yeah, it's definitely Demi...

Demi???

No...

Demi frowns at me and shakes her head, disappointed. she turns away, but remaining in the same spot.

"Fuck..." I breath, realizing what I've done. I could've sworn that it was Jo that i was kissing. How did this even happen?

Snapping out of my thoughts, I look around to see everyone staring at us, complete shock plastered on their faces.  Alex is looking around, silent as everyone around him quietly talks to the person next to them, all saying one universal word-- 'Jo'.

JO!

I scan the crowd, only to see that Jo has vanished. 

I look back at Demi, frowning with utter fury all over her face. I don't need to say anything, as she understands everything in my eyes, "Go find her, you ass! I'm dyeing my hair black again, so this won't happen again." Though it might sound rude to other people, it's exactly what I need.