Chapter 1

*Jo's POV*

"Jo! you're going to be late!" My mother's voice calls from downstairs. i roll my eyes, knowing that i still have a good 20 minutes to get to my bus stop. i take my time putting the finishing touches on my drawing of a wolf, before hopping off my bed and slinging my backpack over my shoulder. 

"JO!"

"I'm coming!" I yell back to my mother, trying to sound as little annoyed as possible. "Geez," I add under my breath. I love my Mom, I really do, but at some points she can drive me literally insane with her constant need to be 87 years early to every. single. thing.

I grab my notebook and earbuds, checking in the mirror one last time before taking a breath and heading downstairs. I know my face is flushed; I've spent way too much time stressing over this. it's just a new school..a fresh start. A fresh start from everything that happened.

I need to forget.

I make my way down the stairs and towards the front door to pull on my boots. I can see my Mother standing there impatiently, bouncing on the heels of her sand-colored boots. She's obviously nervous as well. Once she sees me, though, a smile takes the place of an anxious frown on her face. she opens her purse, grabs a 20, and holds it out to me.

"Here's some money for lunch, and please be smart with it. Do you have everything?" she asks, while i tie up the black laces on my shoes. Before I can respond, though, she gives me the once-over, and sighs.

"Oh, Jo."

"Mother, this is my favorite shirt!" I defend my plain, army-green v-neck. I've had it since the 8th grade, and amazingly, it still fits. It's not like I plan on looking like a supermodel, and this shirt means too much to me to not wear on the first day. I run my hand down the smooth material and think of Luca, his smiling face glowing as he handed me the shirt. "Happy Birthday, Kiddo," he said to me, beaming while i went crazy over the special present that he got me.

I sigh; the memories are flooding back, daring me to lose my cool. Before my eyes can well up with tears, i shake my head, my attitude shifting from annoyed to vulnerable. "This shirt...it just means so much to me," i speak softly.

'I know, honey.. I know. Have a good day," she wraps her arms around me, seeming to remember just why i love this shirt so much, and rests her chin on my head. a moment later, she pulls back,  looking me in the eyes, "and i mean it." She winks.

I smile. "Thanks, Mother."

I head out the door and start toward the bus stop, ignoring the instant chill of air sending goosebumps down my forearm, making me wish i'd stopped to put on a jacket. 

~~~

I step off the old, rusty school bus and walk towards the front doors of an enormous High School. The sun shines in my eyes, and I shade them with my hand to get a better view of the place. You can see kids standing out in their own groups outside: the goths, the jocks, the cliques, the nerds, the populars, and so on. This is just like a regular, cliche school.

I step inside, finding the main office quickly and stepping inside to get my schedule. A thin, old-ish lady, whom I assume is the secretary, smiles at me.

"Hello dear! and your name is?"

"Jo..uh...Ryder," I reply awkwardly.

"Ah, yes! i have your schedule right here. if you have any questions your guidance counselor is right up there," She points to a door on the other side of the room, containing a small set of stairs, leading up to more doors.

"Thanks," I take the paper and return her smile before heading back out to the hall. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by a bunch of other students, moving in all directions as I try to navigate through and find my locker. finally, i find it, and check the combination on my schedule.