You Don't Know A Thing. (Chapter 8)

Dedicated to my second ever follower- herfantasy. Thanks for the follow sunshine!!!

Alea’s P.O.V

I took a deep breath and stared at the papers. I scanned over them- “… failure to take proper care of your child will result in your child being repossessed…” Repossessed?! She not an animal! I thought angrily. I swallowed and forced my hand to bring the pen down to the line with the “X”. I slowly and carefully signed my name- well, my new name- “Alea Horan” was now forever placed in ink on an adoption form. Ms. Smith smiled warmly and simply said, “I’ll go pack Cora’s bag.” I took a deep breath and the smell of warm bread and milk filled my nose. This place was like something out of a Sherlock Holmes novel. I looked at the walls- simple flower designs danced across them. The floor was hardwood and dark brown. The ceiling had nothing on it expect paint the color yellow. I looked over at Niall and his face was like a light bulb someone had put a cloth over- it shined, but was sad and dark at the same time. I wrinkled my eyebrows and sighed slightly. I just accepted a beautiful burden. I love her already and I will always love her, but she is a burden. I have to teach myself how to take care of a child and “teach her the way she should go so that when she’s old she wouldn’t depart from it”*. I had to teach her the right way to live, to protect her. I wanted to hoard her- to keep her mine and mine only so I could make up for lost time- but as I look at her and Niall… pure joy filled my heart. Her smile with gaps where teeth will grow and his with white-flawless teeth seemed a perfect match. He seemed to be over whatever was bothering him before. As I looked at them, warmth spread over my body, covering me from head to toe. I folded my hands and placed them in my lap, as I stared at them, I heard Zayn chuckle slightly then cluck his tongue. “Niall’s not usually good with kids… He must really like Cora.” Harry and Liam muttered an agreement as Louis smiled at Cora- a vacant look in his eyes. With a spacey tone he said, “Makes me think of my son,” He quickly pulled out his phone and showed me. The screen had a picture of Eleanor and his son, “He’s called Leo.” Pride spread across his face as he gazed upon his son. I smiled warmly and looked at the boy. “He looks a lot like his daddy.” Louis’s smile grew even more as he walked towards Cora and Niall. “Hey, there little lady.” He lowered himself to the floor and sat down beside Niall. Zayn walked towards Louis with Liam at his heels. Harry bit his lip then released it. He slowly moved forward. I was a bit surprised at Harry's apprehension. I heard he loved children, I mean, I may not be a huge Directioner, but I know that he plays with- what's her name? Lux! He plays with Lux and I heard they're fond of each other. I looked over at Niall and I heard him whisper to Zayn. He whispered something like, "She... daddy." I wrinkled my brow at the lack of knowlegde. I wonder what Cora had said...

I rose slowly and my hands instinctively went to my wrists. My hands felt the familiar scars. The scars Josh put there. No, technically he wasn’t the one who pulled the razor across my skin, but he’s the reason they’re there. I took a deep breath and fought as the memories came flying in. I excused myself and walked out the door. I took seven deep breaths before my vision faded and showed scenes I thought I had long since disposed of. I felt a hand on my shoulder but I couldn’t turn around. The panic set in as I saw Josh… “You are such a dumb***! I wish you would just do as I tell you! To heck with you!” “I hate you,” “You shouldn’t be alive,” “If you just disappear everyone would be a lot happier!” “You should just take your own life! Sometimes I wish you would!” The list goes on. There are twenty-seven comments like that. I know, because I have exactly twenty-seven scars on my wrist. As the memory fades, I realized I was crying on someone’s chest. I looked up and saw Harry. He was looking down at me, his eyes showed genuine concern for me. “I-”

“You don’t have to tell me.” He quickly said. My mouth turned slightly as I smiled.

“Thanks, but I want to.” My mouth seemed to go off without me as I told the tales of Josh, everything he ever said to me. “He never physically abused me, everything was verbal and he really didn’t care about how I let out my sorrow. Everyone has a different way to let out emotions, mine was on my wrists.” I took a deep, shallow breath and Harry looked down at me. He had tears swimming in his eyes, “I am so sorry!” I’m sure confusion was written on my face. “I saw the scars on your wrists and I judged you. I wasn’t sure how you would treat Niall and the baby if you were unstable…” He shoved his hands in his pockets and turned his face to my left, refusing to look at me as a tear cascaded down his cheek. I placed my hand on his cheek, forcing him to look at me. “You are forgiven.” He looked at my, shock was written all over his. His mouth opened and wagged slightly, “Harry, people have judged me all my life. Scars… they’re something that just shows what a person’s been through, they’re a reminder to be more careful then you were when you got the scar. No one- no one- has ever said they were sorry. No one ever ‘fessed up and told me they were judging me and that’s why I forgave you. You were honest and you were sincere- and for that I thank and forgive you.”

Harry smiled and I removed my hand from his cheek. We turned as a car approached. My heart started pounding as the rest of the boys came out. I heard Cora talking gibberish and Niall repeating her sounds, "Hey Alea, we-" He froze beside me as he saw Josh stepping from the car. "Daddy who dat? Who dat daddy?" Cora asked Niall as Josh moved away from the car, towards us. He clucked his tongue and shook his head, "Lying to her already? That's not your daddy. I am."