You Don't Know A Thing (Chapter 3)

Alea’s P.O.V

Niall led me to a small room. I stopped outside the door. My heart beat a little louder. Last time I was in a hotel room with a boy… “That doesn’t matter. He’s not Josh.” Yes, Josh, my stupid, evil, beoch-y ex-boss. He seemed so… different. It was during my rebellion stage. My dad hated him, so I had to have him. Even though he was totally not hot. He pulled a love ‘em and leave ‘em on me. It boils my blood to think about it. Let’s just say I ended up pregnant and… well. Everyone has a past, right? “Alea? You’re spacing out on me.” Niall grabbed my hand; his voice was so soft and gentle.

 I took a deep breath, “We just met and everything…” I looked at the ground, “I guess I just don’t have good experiences with men.” Niall looked at me kindly.

He brushed his thumbs over my knuckles, “Who hurt you Alea?” His voice was so soft. So sweet. I didn’t understand how he could be that way. 

“Who didn’t?” I realized how naïve I must sound. How naïve I felt. I felt like a little girl with the tears streaming down my face, my voice quavering. Niall’s eyes- oh, man those eyes- seem to stare directly into my soul. “Every guy I meet is mean or rude to me. Josh, the guys who took my baby-” Niall’s wide-eyed expression cut me off, “Josh didn’t want to be reminded that he had a daughter, so he told Social Services that I was abusing her. They didn’t even listen to me.” My voice broke and I looked down. I just let my most kept secret out. I just told a living soul that I let someone take something from me and let them without a fight. “I was stupid then,” I said slowly, “I didn’t fight them in court and I regret it every day of my life. I haven’t stopped fighting since then,” I didn’t know how to shut myself up, so I just kept truckin’. “I want her back, Niall. But I don’t think she’d want me. I let her go…” I stopped talking when I saw how Niall was looking at me. I can’t describe it. It was like anger, gentleness, hurt, love all mixed into one.

Niall’s P.O.V

I felt hurt. Hurt for Alea, not me. I was angry at Josh, but I tried to keep it in check. “Alea,” I began, not quite sure what to say, “I’m so sorry that happened. I’m not Josh, or that Social Service worker, but I’m sorry. They shouldn’t have done that to you.” I puffed out my chest and looked down at her, “We’re going to get your baby back. I don’t care what it takes.” I felt determination rise up in me. It bubbled up like water in a fountain. Alea smiled for a moment that she frowned again, “It’s too late to argue it in court. The only way you can adopt is if you’re married…” She trailed off and bit her lip. My mind whirled. I’m pretty sure you could hear the rusty gears turning in my head. “We could get married.” I said simply. Before I looked at Alea to see her reaction I quickly added, “You can adopt her then we can divorce. Make it look like it never happened, if you want.” I dared to look down at Alea. Her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree, “And when we find we’re completely and totally perfect for each other?” She asked quietly. My heart skipped a beat, “We live happily ever after.” My eyes flickered down to Alea’s lips. I slowly leaned down and planted my lips softly on hers. “Everything will work out just fine,” I pulled her into a hug. I gently pet her hair. “You wanna meet the rest of One Direction?” Alea snorted as she wrapped her pale arms around my waist, “I look like a slob, I didn’t even want to meet you, I’m on an emotional rollercoaster, I just found out I’m getting married to a guy I barely know, even though I feel like I’ve know you forever, and you ask me if I want to meet the boys? Use your brain Niall, what do you think?” I smirked, “Great! I’ll call them over now.” Alea pulled away from me, opened her mouth and pointed at me. She shook her head and closed her mouth. She turned on her heel and walked towards the bathroom muttering the whole way. I pulled out my phone smiling as she walked away. My fingers seemed to have a mind of their own. They typed the numbers in like they did this all the time. And of course, they did. While I texted, “Meet me at Mike’s apartment. I think I found her.”, I asked every question I had been thinking, “What if she’s been adopted already, she’s young and younger children are adopted faster… What if she wants to say with her foster family? What if Alea and my marriage fails?” I refused to play with her heart. If she doesn’t like me for me, my heart would be broken, shattered really. My phone vibrated as Zayn texted back, “Like her, her? As in your Princess??” My hands shook slightly, I tried to steady them. What if Zayn and the others didn’t approve of Alea? What if they didn’t like her and she doesn’t like them? Slowly I typed out, “I’d even share my food with her. Get ready to meet Princess Alea.” I pressed “Send” and hoped for the best. I turned my head and saw Alea standing behind the couch. “I’m a little worried about your friend Mike. He has make-up in his bathroom.” Her voice seemed lighter, like a huge weight had been lifted off of her- a weight I now carry. I slowly walked towards her. I grabbed her small hand and brushed my thumb over her knuckles. “He’s an oddball.” I thought about the question that had been plaguing my mind for a while now, “Why did that guy attack you on the street? I want to truth, Alea.” I saw fear flash across her face.