Girls vs. Boys (1) - Hunter

This is the prequel to There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate! It's probably a better idea to read that one first because there will be spoilers... and some things would just make more sense. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 21st, 1998

“One, two, three,” Austin counted, his hands over his eyes as he faced a tree. “Four, five, six…”

Jordan continued to run around her backyard, looking for a good place to hide. Her brother Austin’s friends had already taken all the best hiding spots, so she had no idea what she was supposed to do.

“Seven, eight, nine…”

Before she even knew what was happening, someone was grabbing her arm and yanking her behind another tree. She bit her lip to stop herself from shouting out in surprise, but she then smiled widely when she saw her best friend Dallas smiling back at her.

“Ten! Ready or not, here I come!”

Most five-year-olds loved playing hide n’ go seek, but Jordan absolutely hated it. She just loved playing with Austin and his friends, especially Dallas, and their favorite game just happened to be the dreaded hide n’ go seek. She just found it boring, and she thought that it got old after a while. Their backyard didn’t change, so it wasn’t like there were ever any knew hiding spots…

Dallas was the only one out of all the boys who was really Jordan’s friend, but he was all she needed. She had her brother, of course, but Dallas was the best friend anyone would want…

They both continued to hide as Austin skittered around their backyard in search of them. They continued to stay huddled together behind the tree, and Jordan felt her cheeks get warm at how close they were together. She might have been five-years-old, but she knew that she had a crush on Dallas.

“Hah! I found you, Charlie!” she heard Austin cry out to someone, dangerously close to both her and Dallas. She snuck closer to him, smiling a little when the nine-year-old didn’t push her away. “I found you, I found you, I found you! I’m the best seeker ever! Aren’t I, Charlie?”

Jordan almost giggled when she heard Charlie grumble his response, obviously upset that he had gotten found. She and Dallas continued to stay silent behind the giant tree, and she wished that Austin would never find them so they could stay back there forever. Dallas was the only one that Jordan really wanted to play with…

“I found you, Randy!” Austin now cried out again, a little farther away from them now. She let out a breath, still very close to Dallas. So Austin wasn’t that great of a seeker! He walked right past Dallas and Jordan and he didn’t find them at all… So much for being the best seeker ever.

“We have the best hiding spot, Jordy,” Dallas whispered to her, playing with a piece of her hair as they continued to hide. “There’s no way Austin’s gonna find us back here!”

She smiled up at him, not having anything to say to him. She didn’t want to make any noise, just in case Austin was close by. If he heard them, they would have been found out… She was usually pretty quiet, but she always got kind of loud when she was supposed to be quiet…

Jordan couldn’t remember how many people were playing with them, but all she knew was that she was the only girl and she was the youngest. She always liked playing with Austin and his friends, even if that meant she was the only girl who would play with them. Her other friends Ryan and Lexi never liked playing games with them…