Girls vs. Boys (10) - Dance

December 19, 2007

“A dance?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing as I stared back at Emily. “Are you kidding me? We’re actually having a dance?”

“How is that even possible?” Chelsea butted in before Emily could answer me. “We go to an all-girls school.”

“It’s with Cambridge,” Emily’s friend Molly informed us with a wide smile. “You know, that all-boys school a few miles away?”

“This is so exciting,” another of Emily’s friends, Cindy, practically gushed. “I’ve seen a few of the boys from Cambridge. They’re so cute!”

I wasn’t exactly excited by this. This would have been the first dance I had ever been to, and it was going to be crawling with guys that I didn’t even know. I didn’t even think any of the guys from my middle school went to Cambridge. They all went to my brother’s school.

The only one of Emily’s friends that didn’t seem excited was Yolanda, but I was expecting as much. The practically silent blonde girl twiddled her thumbs as everyone else continued to gush over the stupid dance.

“It’s going to be on Friday,” Emily now informed the rest of us. “I already have a dress and everything! It’s going to be so much fun. I don’t even care if boys that we don’t even know are going to be there! There’re still boys!”

Aimee giggled. “That’s true. Who knows, maybe one of us will get a boyfriend out of it.”

I couldn’t help but make a face as I continued sketching in my notebook. I wasn’t a great drawer, but it was something better to do than just talking about a stupid dance as we waited for class to end. I had my first badminton practice today, and I didn’t want to be late for it because we were talking about dances and potential boyfriends.

“What are you drawing, Jordan?” Lexi asked, snatching the notebook from me and examining my drawing carefully. “It looks like… uh… Actually, I don’t even know what it looks like, and I’m the artist.”

It was true. All the girls seemed to have something special about them, and I was just the leftover. Lexi drew, Chelsea danced, AJ sung, and Aimee loved to act. She was actually really good… You could never really tell when she was lying. But there was me, who couldn’t really do anything. I could barely even play badminton. I could play the guitar, but it wasn’t really that important to me.

“I’m just doodling. It’s nothing important,” I sighed, grabbing the notebook back from her. “I’d rather draw something horribly than listen to you guys going on and on about some stupid dance.”

AJ laughed, covering her mouth with her hand to stop herself from laughing too hard. “We all know who Jordan really wants to go with!”

My four best friends giggled, but the other four girls that were with us looked completely dumbfounded. No one else but my best friends knew that I liked Dallas, not counting my brother. I was friends with the rest of the girls that were with us, and I didn’t even think they knew who Dallas was, but I didn’t want to risk it…

“Who do you want to go with, Jordan?” Cindy asked, causing me to bite down on my lip and glare at AJ. How the heck was I supposed to answer that question and not tell them that I liked Dallas?

“Just this guy that goes to the public school,” I answered quickly, letting out a sigh of relief when I saw that there was only fifteen seconds left until the final bell was going to ring. “It’s really not
that important. It’s nothing to think about at all.”

I jumped up from my seat, scrambling toward the door just as the bell finally rang. It was obvious that I didn’t want to talk to them about Dallas, but I would just pretend that I didn’t want to be late for my first badminton practice…