Girls vs. Boys (14) - Pessimist vs. Optimist

January 21st, 2008

The last place I wanted to go right then was badminton practice. Ever since we had gotten back from break, I had pretended to be sick so I didn’t have to go. But I couldn’t miss anymore practices, because if I did, I would get kicked off the team. And badminton was the only sport that I was, and probably always will be, good at.

I just couldn’t face Dawson yet and tell her that my brother was dating a friend of mine. A really good friend of mine that I had known since elementary school…

I had also been avoiding Emily because I had no idea what I was supposed to say to her. I didn’t know if she knew that I knew about her dating my brother, but I decided on talking to Dawson before talking to her.

“Jordan,” I heard a familiar voice call out to me after school, causing me to freeze before I could walk any farther. Good thing I had Chelsea with me, or I probably would have ran for the hills. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

It was obvious that I had been avoiding Emily for the past two weeks, but I was hoping that she just wouldn’t notice for some reason and move on with her life. But no, that wasn’t about to happen…

Chelsea glanced between my frozen state, and then looked back over at Emily. “Sorry, she’s mad at your right now.”

“I’m not mad at her!” I cried out almost immediately, definitely not wanting to hurt Emily’s feelings at all. But I knew Chelsea, and she definitely didn’t care about hurting people’s feelings when it came to someone she barely knew…

Emily’s eyebrows furrowed, obviously worried over the fact that I might have actually been mad at her. But I didn’t know how I felt about her right now, because she was dating my brother behind my back. I had known this girl since elementary school…

“She knows about you and Austin,” Chelsea informed Emily now, saving me from having to do so. “She may not be mad, but she feels betrayed and upset that you didn’t tell her. I mean, it’s her brother after all.”

Emily’s frown grew, and I knew she was trying to think of what to say now. I stayed silent, and so did Chelsea, and this caused a very awkward silence to fill the air around us. I really wished I could have just ran…

“I’m sorry,” Emily apologized, her grip on her backpack tightening as she took a step toward me. “I didn’t know how I was supposed to tell you. I didn’t know if you’d be happy or mad… I mean, he’s your brother and I’m your friend. It’s probably weird for you. Austin thought that we should wait to tell you, and I just agreed to it…”

I should have known that rat was the cause of this. It was just like Austin. I didn’t even know if he had had any other girlfriends before, but I was sure that he did. Austin and I may have been close, but he never liked talking about relationships with me at all… I couldn’t help but feel left out just a little.

“I’m not mad at you, Emily,” I told her truthfully, letting out a sigh and shaking my head. “I just wish I was told when everything happened. I mean, like you said, he’s my brother and you’re my friend. I would have liked to know.”

Emily nodded. “I’m really sorry.”

I forced a smile now, not in the mood to move the muscles in my face. “It’s really no problem. I’ll see you tomorrow, alright? I have badminton practice now and I can’t afford to be late. I’ve already missed for practices in a row…”

Emily nodded, taking a step away from me. “Oh, okay! Sorry for keeping you! I’ll talk to you tomorrow, okay?”

I nodded this time. “Definitely.”