Girls vs. Boys (11) - Christmas is a Time for Love and Hate, Apparently...

December 21, 2007

“Tell me again why you don’t like Christmas, Scrooge,” Chelsea asked me as she sat next to me on my bed only a few days before the dreaded holiday. “I mean… it’s Christmas.”

“For every Christmas, my family spends it with Dallas and his family,” I explained, letting out a sigh as I laid back on my bed. “And every year since Dallas was a freshman, he always shows up late because he spent most of the day with Trinity.”

“Ah, I understand now,” Chelsea nodded as she moved over to my computer now. “So you’re upset because he’s going to come to your house when the party’s almost over?”

“No,” I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest. I really tried to not act jealous, but it just wasn’t working out well. “I’m angry because this year Dallas is bringing Trinity with him. So I’m going to have to sit around and watch them be all lovey-dovey and crap. I’m really not looking forward to it.”

Chelsea stuck her tongue out at me. “If you hate them being together so much, why don’t you just break them up or something?”

I rolled my eyes at her. “What am I supposed to do that will break them up? They’ve been going out ever since the two of them were freshman. I highly doubt I can just break them up after they’ve been together for almost four years.”

Chelsea shrugged. “You never know. I highly doubt that they’ll end up marrying each other. They’ll probably break up after high school.”

“And I’ll have no chance with Dallas after he graduates,” I reminded her, as if she didn’t know. “I don’t even know what college he’s going to or what he’s going to college for. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dallas doesn’t even know himself… All he thinks about is now, not the future.”

Chelsea shrugged once again. “I’m sure a lot of people think like that. Why not think about now instead of the future?”

I guess she was right, but I didn’t agree with her. I spent most of my time wondering about the future. I guess I was just different from everyone else that way.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Christmas night, my mother informed me of something that I definitely wasn’t expecting.

“A party?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing at my mother as my father and Austin scrambled around the house, setting up for this party my mother was speaking of. “What do you mean, we’re having a party?”

“Instead of just us, your grandma, and Dallas’s family, your father and I decided to throw a party with all of our friends and their children,” my mother informed me, snapping at Austin when he set some kind of banner up wrong. “Your father and I thought that it would be very fun for Austin and you to meet our coworker’s children.”

A party sounded fun, but I wasn’t good with meeting new people. And if Dallas was going to come over with Trinity, I wouldn’t have to see them as much, but then that meant that I wasn’t going to see Dallas as much either…

I turned toward Austin, flatly asking him, “Did you invite anyone?”

Austin shrugged, not even looking away from the banner he was putting up as he said, “Just Mason, Dennis, Cathy, Hunter, Erica, Quinn, George…”

I stopped listening after that. So not only was Trinity going to be there, but a bunch of other random friends of Austin’s and Dallas’s. Now I definitely wasn’t looking forward to this Christmas party… It just made me hate Christmas even more.