Girls vs. Boys (22) - Bra

September 7th, 2008

I needed to start inviting my friends over more. I probably needed to start making more friends, too. It seemed like my parents had a lot more friends than I did, and for some reason that just didn’t seem right.

They had friends from high school, friends from college, friends from work, and just pretty  much any other place you could think of. Yeah, they were so much older than I was, but I didn’t go out or see my friends nearly as much as they did. I really needed to fix that.

Mostly because I was tired of Austin babysitting me, even though I was fifteen-years-old. They wouldn’t even let me stay home alone, even though Austin was seventeen, two years older than me.

“Who’d you invite over for dinner, Mom?” I asked my mother as I placed the salad bowl on the dining room table.

“I invited Audrey Jacobsen, who works in the same office as me, and her two children, along with your grandmother,” my mother answered, not even looking up at me as she put the finishing touches on the cake for desert.

I stared, completely wide-eyed at my mother. “Audrey… Jacobsen?”

Austin didn’t look very happy either. “Yeah, I had the same thought that you did.”

My head started to pound, and I thought I was going to faint. Was this Audrey Jacobsen woman Jesse’s mother? They both had the same last name… But that didn’t necessarily mean that they were related at all…

My parents didn’t know about Jesse. At all. They had no idea that he had been ruining my life for almost an entire year. I didn’t know how they would react if they found out about everything that had happened… It wasn’t like they overreacted a lot, but it would have been weird to tell my parents about my enemy who had been ruining my life…

“You’re not the only one who isn’t looking forward to this,” Austin sighed once we were both kicked out of the kitchen. “I don’t think you know this, since I never told you, but I used to date Jesse’s older sister.”

I made a face. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t even know they were siblings until I saw them together at Dallas’s graduation ceremony,” Austin shrugged, as if it was no big deal at all. First he didn’t tell me about dating Jesse’s sister, and then he didn’t even tell me about dating Emily! I seriously didn’t think that that boy ever told me anything, even when he knew pretty much everything about me!

But wait… Jesse was at the graduation ceremony? I hadn’t even seen him!

Had the person that had booed been Jesse?

No… it couldn’t have been…

When I heard the doorbell rang, my heart nearly stopped. He was already here! How could I possibly get out of this without my parents finding out why?

When Austin opened the door, I could hear him call out, “Hey, Grandma!”

I let out a sigh a relief. It was only my grandmother, not the most obnoxious person on the planet… But he still hadn’t arrived yet.

“Hi, Grandma,” I greeted my grandmother with a hug once she had entered the living room. “How have you been?”

This was normal conversation with my grandmother, no matter when or where I saw her. If I saw her three days in a row, every day I would ask her how she was. I didn’t know why I did it. I just did.

“I’m great, Jordan! As usual,” my grandmother smiled once she pulled away. “How about you?”

“Fine,” I nodded, even though it was a lie.