Girls vs. Boys (31) - Park

April 8th, 2010

“This really sucks,” Chelsea muttered to me as we sat in the park next to the two happy couples that were pretty much radiating their happiness off to us. “I feel like we’re some type of crazy third wheel.”

“Agreed,” I sighed, quiet enough so the people we were with wouldn’t hear us. “I don’t even know what they asked us to join them.”

“Because, girls,” Aimee started, suddenly leaning in toward us and nearly making me jump because I didn’t think she was listening in to our conversation, “we’re Lexi and AJ’s friends, so we’re here to support them.”

“On a date,” Chelsea groaned, and I was sure I matched her unhappiness. “The only reason you’re okay with it, Aimee, is because you wouldn’t know what an awkward situation is even if it sat on your lap.”

“Jordan, you and Jesse should sit on my lap.”

“Hey!”

Chelsea and Aimee both laughed, but I only made a face at the two of them. I wasn’t that awkward with Jesse, was I? I didn’t think so… Awkward would be one of the last things that I would think we were.

“I’m going to go get a hotdog,” I grumbled, wanting nothing more than to be far away from all the lovey-dovey crap. “Do you want anything?”

“A water bottle please,” Aimee answered, and Chelsea shook her head for a response.

I let out a sigh as I pushed myself up off the ground and made my way toward the hotdog stand only a couple yards away from us. I didn’t even bother asking Lexi or AJ what they wanted because I didn’t want to interrupt them with their boyfriends.

As I waited in line, I couldn’t help but feel just a little bit jealous of Lexi and AJ. They had great guys that liked them a lot, and I didn’t. Both Aimee and Chelsea didn’t seemed bothered by this at all, and I pretended not to be, but I honestly was. They had what I wanted with Dallas all those years before…

“Fancy meeting you here, Emery!” a familiar voice suddenly said from behind me, and I groaned before turning toward Jesse Jacobsen in distaste. I had suddenly lost my appetite.

My jaw nearly hit the ground when I saw him. “You… you look horrible!”

He shrugged, a smirk on his face as usual. “Why, thank you.”

His face was bruised, but the bruises looked like they weren’t fresh, which meant he had gotten them either the day before or even before that…

“Did you get into another fight?” I demanded, and if he had said yes, I would have hit him. Well, maybe not, since he was hurt and all…

“Mugged, actually,” he answered, and it made me feel kind of bad for him. “It happened last night when I was walking home from… a friend’s house.”

“Shouldn’t you be able to drive?” I wondered out loud, my eyebrows furrowing at him once I really thought about it. “Aren’t you seventeen?”

“Aw, did you remember my birthday, Emery?”

“The… the only reason I remembered is because I’ve known you for so long!”

He smirked at me before reaching over and ruffling my hair. I smacked his hand away from me, kind of hoping that it was bruised as well so it would hurt a little. I really hated it when he touched me.

“Whatever you say, Emery,” was all he said, and this surprised me because I was expecting him to tease me even more.

“Do you have some sort of tracking device on me or something?” I asked now, wanting nothing more than to change the subject to something else. “How else would you be able to find me pretty much wherever I go?”