Chapter 18-Did he just say mate?

I watched as Tyler rushed to the brunette and crushed her to him. My ears were ringing and my mouth felt dry. What just happened? Did he just say mate? What's going on?

I watched as they rubbed noses affectionately and talked to each other in low voices.

"What's your name sweetheart?" I heard Tyler ask her.

"I'm Tori."

"That's a beautiful name for my beautiful mate. I'm Tyler." They continued to hold each other close.

I felt all color drain from my face and I slowly backed away. This could not be happening. I had liked Tyler all my life. I had thought he was my mate. My wolf had told me so! Now to find out I was wrong and that he was never meant to be mine crushed my heart. I could feel it tearing apart and breaking into a million little pieces. I tripped walking backwards and a sob escaped my mouth as a tear slid down my face.

Tyler turned to look at me and it was like he was just realizing I was here. "Kate," he said, trying to walk closer to me.

I shook my head no as more tears ran down my face. Stupid. I had been so stupid to think he could be mine. He took another step towards me and I was on my feet in a flash. I turned and ran as fast as I could away from the house and into the woods.

"Kate! Kate stop!" I could hear Tyler yelling.

This only pushed me faster and soon my wolf came out, taking over, and I shifted. I ran all the way home and quickly changed back into my human skin. It was a good thing my parents were away for the week or else I would have given them quite a fright. I grabbed sweatpants and a t-shirt from my secret stash in the tree in the backyard. I ran in as more tears escaped and I laid down on the couch and cried and cried until I passed out into an exhausted sleep.

It had been three days since I had seen the pack, since I had seen Tyler with Tori. I knew deep down that he hadn't meant to hurt me, that this was what was supposed to happen and that I should be happy for him, but my heart was still broken. I had liked him for years and now to find out he isn't meant to be mine was soul crushing.

The doorbell rang, ripping me from my thoughts. I got up from the couch and walked to open the front door only to find Tori standing on my front porch.

"Kate, please. Please come talk to Tyler. He's going mad at the pack house. He's locked himself away and even I can't get him to come out. He feels horrible about everything and just wants to talk to you. Please," she begged, unshed tears in her eyes at the suffering of her mate.

"Tori, I'm sorry but I can't right now. Please, tell him I'm sorry and that he can't punish you or himself for this. Just give me some time, maybe a few more days and I'll come then, but I can't right now. I'm sorry." I said.

Tori looked at me with sad eyes, but nodded her head okay. She turned and walked away into the woods and I shut the door quietly.

I flopped on the couch as another wave of tears came rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't go talk to him. Not now. Not like this. I needed time to heal my heart and be able to face him and be happy for him like I know I should be.

The doorbell rang, again. I walked over and ripped open the door. "Tori please, just tell Tyler I'll----" A sack was thrown over my head before I could even get the door open the whole way to see who was there. I kicked and punched and struggled against my attacker. They held me in a steel grip by my arms while my feet flailed everywhere. The sack was lifted just enough to expose my mouth only to be covered by a cloth. It was soaked in something that soon had me going limp in the arms of my attacker. I felt myself being picked up and carried away and I slipped into darkness.

Hey guys! Sorry its been so long since I updated.  Finals are next week and school has been really going full force.  I plan to finish this book before graduation so I can focus on my license exam after graduation!! So hopefully by the end of next week!! Love you all!