Chapter 7- All Healed Up and Hearing Things

"Well," the doctor said, walking into the exam room on Tuesday morning. "How do you feel Miss Kate?"

"Much better. I don't have any headaches or anything and my leg isn't bothering me at all," I said, as I sat on the exam table.

"Good. Has your memory of the events come back at all?" he asked, while looking over my chart.

"Um, no. Nothing. I've tried to remember, but nothing has come back at all. Not even a flash," I said, looking at my feet.

"That's okay. Sometimes it takes some time for the brain to remember such events. It's brain's way of protecting itself. The memories may not come back at all. And that's okay too," he said, giving me a reassuring smile. "Now, let's take a look at that leg."

I lay down on the table on my stomach and exposed my fresh bandage. The doctor peeled off the bandage and I could hear him suck in a sharp breath.

"What? What's wrong? Is it bleeding? It wasn't this morning. And I don't think it was infected. I cleaned it every day, just like you said to," I quickly said.

"No. No, dear, it's not that," he said. "Your wound is almost completely healed. There's almost nothing there to even indicate you had an injury like you did. It's amazing," he finished, showing me the back of my leg with a small mirror.

I gasped. There was only a small red line indicating I had even been hurt. The gash had been several inches long and pretty deep, but now there was almost no remains of it at all.

"Well, this is excellent. Never have I seen something close so quickly. And it looks like you won't even have much of a scar, if any at all," he smiled at me as I sat up. He quickly looked me over one last time before sending me in the waiting room while he talked to my mom.

The receptionist quickly sent us on our way. We got into my mom's car and headed off in the direction of school. Unfortunately, my appointment only got me out for a little while. We rode in silence for a little while.

"The doctor said everything looks great. He said your leg might not even scar," she said, taking a few turns.

"Yes, it looks pretty good," I mumbled, too depressed at the thought of going into school.

"Sweetheart, are you okay? I mean really, are you?"

"Yeah, mom. I'm okay," I said, looking at her now. "Honest. I was shaken up at first, but I'm okay now."

"Okay. Please don't be afraid to come to me or your dad if you need anything honey, even if you just need someone to talk to," she said, hugging me, as she had parked in front of the school.

I hadn't even realized we were already here, being lost in my own little world. I pulled away and smiled at my mom. Stepping onto the curb, I poked my head back in. "Thanks for taking me mom. I'll see you later for some shopping?"

"Absolutely, sweetheart, I'll see you later," waving as I shut the door and waved. I went into the office, got my late note, and headed off to my locker. I quickly grabbed my books and headed to my least favorite class, Mr. McCready's physics. I quietly knocked, opened the door, and entered as quiet as could be.

"Ahh, Ms. Hunt. How nice of you to join us," Mr. McCready sneered at me.

I handed my slip to him and his face fell slightly, realizing I wasn't punishably late. He enjoyed giving out detentions like Santa liked giving out presents. He shooed me away to my desk and resumed his lecture.