Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Drew and Liam take us into the house soon after River and Liam encounter. There is no words to describe how happy I am to know that River has an amazing mate like Liam, a mate that will put her first. 

The way Liam looked at my younger sister was the same way Drew looks at me-with love and passion. River was overjoyed when she realized that her mate was in the Colorado pack, meaning that she would be accepted just the same as me. 

I knew that it was hard for her to stand by while Phoenix and I were helplessly in love with our mates. She didn't have anyone to share such love with, or to hold her and provide her security. 

"Hungry?" Drew asks, nipping at my ear. I smile and lean back against his chest. I am never going to take time with him for granted. Being apart from him taught me that every moment we have is a blessing. Drew has his arms around my waist, pressing my back up against his muscular chest. He ducks his head down and nuzzles into my neck. 

I turn and loop my arms around his neck. "I am. But I will help." I kiss his nose and grab his hand. "Are you guys hungry?" I ask River and Liam who are sitting on the couch, talking about what happened today. Her eyes are watery as she looks at me and I frown, cocking my head to the side. She shakes her head but Liam tells me that they will both have a turkey sandwich...

How did he know that turkey was her favorite lunch meat? 

Drew pulls me to the kitchen but my eyes linger on my shaken sister for a moment before I follow him. He drops my hand and opens the fridge, pulling out meat, cheese, mayo, mustard and lettuce. He turns to me and arches an eyebrow. Blinking, I realize I was given the job to grab the bread. 

Turning, I grab a loaf from the basket of bread in the corner. Before I can turn around, he grabs my waist and presses his lips to my cheek. "I'm sorry, Cat." He whispers in a voice that carries nothing but sympathy. I turn my head to stare into his forest green eyes. They search through my soul, though I don't know what for. 

"Don't." I grumble and pull out eight pieces of bread. I quickly start making River's sandwich. "None of this is your fault, Drew. It's all mine and my father's. He's ruined everything." I slap a knife-full of Mayo on a piece of bread and mercilessly spread it. "He has torn my family apart. River is in pieces, frightened half to death and Phoenix is blindly following him." I throw turkey and cheese on the sandwich. "He has damaged the Bennetts. He has harmed your pack-our pack!" I scream and throw the knife I used to cut the sandwich at the sink. I let out a gruntal cry and brance the counter as I feel my wolf taking over. 

Drew's warm arms wrap around my stomach and I feel him place a kiss on the back of my neck. "Shh." He says softly in my ear. I allow more tears to fall as I fall back in his embrace. 

"I'm sorry that I have brought this upon you, Andrew." I lift my hand and place is against his cheek. This has been the first time I have ever said his real name and I loved it. 

"You didn't, Catherine."

"I did." I spin out of his arms and go back to making the sandwiches, having grabbed a new knife. "If I wasn't your mate, you never would have met my father and this war wouldn't be happening." Drew lets out a paronoid sigh and I roll my head around, trying to release tension in my neck. "If I wasn't your mate, you would have a pack who is against you. If I wasn't your mate, you might actually have a relationship with your father. If I wasn't your mate-"

"STOP! Just stop! Shut up, Cat! Do not think like that! Do not think about a life without us being mates, because I can't. It is...impossible for me to think of a life where you are not in it. You are the very best thing I have, Catherine. I'll stop the war, baby. Just please stop thinking like that. I can't manage without you." I look over my shoulder to see Drew looking so completely defeated that I could help but wrap him up in my arms. I hold him close to me as I feel a drop of moisture on my shoulder.