Chapter Sixteen

Hey guys! There is going to be an important author's note at the end of this chapter, so be sure to check it out! 

Enjoy!

Chapter Sixteen

I walk downstairs to see Mrs. Blackwood and Marie sitting in the living room, watching TV. Mrs. Blackwood has her head in her hands as I hear her cry. Marie stares wide eyes at Spongebob who is telling Patrick that he lost his name tag. I smile slightly and head over to place a kiss on Marie's head. "Hey, sweetie." I whisper. She smiles at me. 

"Where's River?" I ask, sitting down in a beige chair that nearly wraps around me. I bring my legs to my chest, wrap my arms around my calves and rest my chin on my knees. 

"She's fighting." Her voice is low, monotone, lacking emotion. My eyes turn towards her and I can't help but question why she is so terrified for John Blackwood. Sure, he's her mate...but I have never seen them share love for each other. I bite my tongue, keeping myself from asking something that could make things worse.

Instead, I turn my attention towards the TV, trying not to think about what is going on at the battle. If Drew hadn't begged me to stay, I wouldn't have. But I'm not as strong willed as my mother. She went to protect her mate, even though my father ordered for her to stay away. 

Marie walks over and hops up to sit on my lap. I wrap my arms around her, wishing I could be as clueless as her. She doesn't know what is happening. She doesn't know that her father or brother may not come home. 

I squeeze her small body to me and rest my chin on the top of her head. It surprises me how much this little girl can comfort me. She has been doing so time and again, and she doesn't even know it.

I peek over to see Mrs. Blackwood staring at the glass table in front of her, her eyebrows scrunched together, as if she was thinking hard. Or she just got confusing news. "What is it?" I ask her. She says nothing, still staring out into space. She does, however, raise her hand and give me a finger, telling me "one second". 

I grant her what she wishes, trying to get sucked into the world of Spongebob, but I am too curious about what is wrong. Did someone get hurt? Did someone die? Is Blackwood deciding to back out of this, because that is still what I am hoping for. 

Mrs. Blackwood turns her head towards me, her eyebrows raised. "Drew has opened up." She says. At first, I didn't understand what she meant. But when it clicked, I smiled. 

Drew?! Are you alright?! Are you hurt?! Why did you open the mind-link?!

I'm fine, Cat. I just wanted to speak with you while I fight. I want to know you're okay. His voice is soft, so soft it makes my heart melt. A smile stretches across my face and I lift Marie off of me. Getting to my feet, I head back up to our bedroom. 

You're the one who is in danger here, Drew. I remind him, crawling into bed and pulling the covers over me, hoping I could get a fraction of the warmth I receive when Drew holds me. 

Don't worry about me.

It's kind of hard not to. I admit, rolling my eyes. 

Drew doesn't respond for a while and I knit my eyebrows together, wondering what is wrong. So I decide to go deeper into his mind, so deep I can nearly see out of his own eyes. As I do so, I witness numbers of wolves fighting each other, skin being torn, flesh being ripped to shreds. 

The sight chills me and I frown. So many people are dying. My family and my new pack. 

River? I whisper.