Forever Dead ::15:: Sweet Dreams are Made of Thee

I sat at the family table, nearest to the new happy couple, surrounded by the Potentials. Nicholai sat to my right and I felt his gaze as he stared at me. I hadn’t spoken to anyone since my brother was turned. I barely remember sitting down. It had been a few hours since the ceremony, but I felt like only moments ago I saw my brother die. He was dead….no matter if he was standing right next to me.

“Drina?” I heard a voice, my brother’s voice… but different. I didn’t move or speak as he sat down next to me.

“Are you alright?” That voice again. I just wanted him to shut up. He wasn’t my brother anymore.

“I am so sorry I didn’t tell you. I thought you already knew. I feel horrible. What can I do?” he grabbed my hand then and I felt like I had awoken… my skill chilled as if a bucket of ice water had been thrown on me.

“Don’t ever touch me again.” I hissed, snatching my hand back. I felt my blood boil and my eyes narrowed as I looked upon this thing.

“Audrina…it’s me….I am still Charlie.”

“You are not my brother. You’re just another monster, like all of them.” I stood then and turned my back on him. A small part of me felt guilty. That same very small part of me whispered in my head “He is still your brother, just an upgraded version.” I shook my head as if I were answering this part of me.

“No. He is not my brother. He is dead.”

“No, he’s not.” I turned to the voice who had spoken, half expecting to see nothing and admit I had gone insane, but sighed as I saw Nicholai approaching me.

“No. He’s just like you.” I spat. “It’s all your fault!” I yelled.

“How is it my fault? He would have come regardless if I had taken you or not. At least now you don’t have to worry. Plus, I remember a certain someone kissing me back the other night. Monster, or not.” He said. I growled and stepped back, creating more space between us.

“I’m not going to lie to you. I did kiss you back, and I enjoyed it.” I said.

“Then why do you fight it so much Audrina? Just accept your fate!”

“You didn’t let me finish.” I said. “I did enjoy it, but I know now that was a mistake. You are nothing but temptation that I have to fight. I cannot, and will not be yours. If it’s the last thing I do I will get out of here…. Dead or alive.” I turned then and walked up the steps.

“Destiny is tricky Audrina. She doesn’t like to be messed with, and if you keep fighting her, you may just get what you wish for.” He said. I felt his presence leave and turned to make sure he was not following me. I rolled my eyes and made my way to my room. I was so tired I didn’t feel the eyes watching me as I left.

Nicholai’s words rang through my head. Was this my destiny? To be tortured? To have something dangle in front of me and just as I have reached it, to be brought higher, out of my reach?

I stepped out of my dress and lay down on the bed, enjoying the peace and quiet. In an instant I was fast asleep, numb to the fantasy that has become my reality.

*

*

*

Hands were on my body; my neck, my arms, my legs, and then I felt them lift my butt high, rubbing my body along theirs. I inhaled deeply, smelling a scent that wrapped around my mind, creating a haze.

I moaned when I felt lips place a trail of kisses along my neck. They stopped when they realized I was awake, but when I didn’t protest they began to go lower. The kisses were just at the mounds of my breasts but I already felt a heat begin in my body.