Chapter 16: The Forgotten

“So…you’re married to him?”

Draco looked down at the woman beside him. Petunia had been allowed to accompany him to St. Mungo’s, as he had promised to vouch for her. Since she was Harry’s aunt, and former guardian, there wasn’t much protest. Dudley had been sent off to a boarding school as punishment for how he had treated Harry at his father’s bidding. The boy had been secretly pleased to get away from his overbearing mother, though he put up quite an uproar when he’d heard the news. The news of his father’s death quieted him though.

Now, Petunia was staying at the Weasley’s, a fact she was a bit uncomfortable with given the exuberance of Mrs. Weasley at having a new guest to look after. She didn’t have to spend much time there, however, as every morning, an Auror dropped by to bring her to St. Mungo’s, as requested.

She was adjusting well, considering she was a Muggle in a Wizarding World. But she knew a surprising amount about wizards, no doubt stemming from having a witch for a sister.

After a few days’ time, however, she had begun to question Draco. Why had he come with Harry? Why was he so concerned about the boy? And why was it best for him to remain by Harry’s side as much as possible?

It had come out. Draco had recounted the events that had transpired the past year. Harry and him becoming friends. His capture. Harry’s rescue of him. Their growing affections, and the knowledge that they might be Inima. How it was when they learned they were. Finally…he told about their marriage, and how later that night, Harry won the war, sacrificing himself in the process. Draco explained how he had managed to travel to the Land of the Dead, describing Sirena and her guidance, and how he had brought Harry back. Petunia had taken it all in quietly, and with a calm Draco admired.

“Yes,” he said quietly, looking back through the window that allowed him to see Harry. “We’re married.” His Inima lay there, so lifeless, the only sign of life the glowing numbers that were up on the board by his bed. Occasionally, the numbers would shift then go back. A faint beeping could be heard when in the room, as his vitals were magically monitored. A Mediwitch moved around inside the room, writing down the data and checking things over, before exiting.

“Any change?” Draco asked desperately. The Mediwitch shook her head apologetically, as she continued down the hall.

“You really love him, don’t you?” Petunia murmured. Draco nodded, his eyes pained. “Normally, in the world I live in…the Muggle world…we aren’t as tolerant of same-sex couples. It’s odd, to hear you speak of him like that…but it’s also nice.”

“Love is love. Doesn’t matter if I was a girl, or if Harry was a girl, and the other was male. We’d still love each other. This is a love that transcends any boundaries. I wouldn’t give it up for anything,” Draco sighed.

“But what about kids? Will you adopt?”

He cleared his throat awkwardly. “Well…there’s this man that wants Harry dead, so that I’ll come to see his way of life. He thought that if Harry became pregnant, it might push me to join him. So he slipped Harry a fertility potion, and well…let’s just say male pregnancy among wizards is not impossible.” Petunia’s mouth slipped open.

“You have a natural born kid?!” she gasped.

“Lily Narcissa Potter,” he said, somewhat proudly. “She’s a beautiful little girl a little less than a month old…”

“Where is she?”

His face dropped. “Our friends are looking after her, until we can get Harry back.” Petunia patted his arm comfortingly.

“We’ll get him back…then I’d like to see your daughter…if you’re okay with that,” she said nervously.

“Of course I’m okay with it. I’m glad you’re okay with the whole thing, actually. I think it will be good for Harry to finally receive acceptance from you. You’re the closest person he has to his mother. He’ll need you.”