Chapter 3: The Key to Death

A/N: Alright, it's short...but it's better than nothing. :3 And I'm working on the next chapter as well. So...enjoy! Refavoment!

~~~

They all crowded around Draco quickly, each vying for a good look at the page he was reading.

“I’ll read it out loud,” Draco exclaimed, attempting to avoid being squashed. “Just move back, will you?” Blaise smirked, while Pansy and Hermione sheepishly sat back. “That’s better.” Draco looked down at the page again, and cleared his throat.

“‘The Viatacatre,’” he read. “‘Creatures of magic that reigned supreme over other magical creatures for centuries, the Viatacatre were well-known as creatures of beauty, dignity, honesty, humility, wisdom, and beings to be respected. They were masters of Persuasion, wandless and nonverbal magic, and were protected by all creatures of magic. When the ruthless Morgana sought to eradicate the Viatacatre, creatures everywhere rose up against her, seeking to protect the dying race. Their pain and anger was great, for Morgana, being of creature blood herself, was committing the ultimate betrayal.’”

“What does this have to do with anything?” Blaise interrupted. Draco shot him a look.

“Wait,” he snapped. “‘It was then that it was discovered the hold that the Viatacatre had over Death himself. They were unable to raise the dead as more than Inferi, but they could communicate with their dead Inimae, and rarely, very rarely, could travel into the Land of the Dead, to retrieve their Inimae from Death’s grasp, if they had the proper pieces of the puzzle. This ability often was transferred into their mates as well, during their bonding.’”

“Does it say what those pieces are?” Hermione demanded, her eyes shining.

Pansy glanced at Blaise, confused. “Is this about that key that what’s-her-face was talking about?” she asked hesitantly. Draco’s head snapped up.

“The key!” he exclaimed. “That’s it!”

“You know what it is?”

His face fell slightly. “Well, no…but maybe this passage has something on it. I didn’t read much further. I guess I just got overexcited. All I saw was the part about Harry being able to talk to me…and my dreams. It must be me communicating with him…I just can’t ever remember what he’s really saying. There are several footnotes in here that I’d read, and it says that many of the Viatacatre had to undergo extensive training, to truly unlock their potential. I must have received the ability to communicate with Harry when our minds connected as well. But since I’ve had no training, I can only remember certain things.”

Hermione nodded slowly. “Makes sense,” she mused. “Keep reading…what are the pieces of the puzzle?”

Draco looked down. “Well, for one, it says that the two must have undergone some sort of bonding.”

“Which you did…”

“But the whole ceremony hadn’t been completed.”

Hermione looked confused. “What do you mean?” Draco’s cheeks were faintly tinged pink, causing Hermione’s mouth to form an ‘Oh’ shape. “Gotcha…” Now her own cheeks were pink as well. Pansy seemed equally as uncomfortable, while Blaise just looked between them.

“I don’t get it.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Draco muttered, clearing his throat awkwardly.

“Well, you two did at least complete the part where you two were declared as Inimae. Therefore, some sort of bonding was set in place. I’m sure that’s enough. Keep going,” Hermione instructed.