Chapter 10

Grace looked at the grass while trying to think what to say to Nicole, the grass was so green, for some reason it made her think about Julia, lately everything reminded her of Julia.  She didn't know what to say to Nicole.  And telling that she liked her father's friend a lot, more than she should, wasn't an option for her.  Her mind ran out of ideas, and Nicole was still there waiting for a response.

"What is it?  Tell me, why do you think that you are gay?  Do you like a girl?" Nicole asked, she hoped that that wasn't the case.

"I've noticed some things about me," Grace began to say.  "Like...  Well, I don't seem so interested in guys like other girls do.  I've never had a boyfriend.  I've never been in love with a guy and I'm twenty years old and I have met plenty of cute guys like to meet someone I like, and I just don't seem very interested about that.  I'm worried, I could be gay and don't even know it.  Don't you think?"

Nicole sighed relieved and happy, just the thought of Grace in love with another girl was really painful and unbearable for Nicole.

"Well, you have a good point there.  Really interesting.  You don't seem to be attracted to guys and you think that maybe you are gay.  Have you felt attraction to a woman?  That could be a way to find out.  Have you kissed a girl?"

"No, never.  Why?"

"Well, that's another way to find out, you know, if you kiss a girl and you like it, that could be a sign that you are gay."

"Oh.  I see."

"You could practice with me, if you want," Nicole said with enthusiasm preparing her lips for a kiss.

I would rather practice with Julia, but thanks anyway.

Grace looked horrified at Nicole's pouty lips in front of her.

"No, thanks.  You are like a sister to me, that would be odd, really odd, like kissing my brother Gabe or George, no thanks."

"Oh."  Nicole seemed very disappointed and sad suddenly, but Grace didn't  notice it.

"What else can I do to know for sure if I'm a lesbian or not?"

"Do you find women attractive, Grace?"

"What if I only find one woman attractive?  Does that makes me a lesbian?"

"Yes.  Who is she?  Do I know her?"  Nicole answered annoyed.

"No one, just forget about it."  Grace averted her gaze.

"There's someone you like and you don't want to tell me..." Nicole said in a low voice, she sounded hurt.

"There's no one I like, really.  I have to go," Grace said standing up immediately and looking at her watch.  "I'm going to work now, I don't want to be late, bye."  She was trying to avoid talking about that.

Nicole opened her mouth but she closed it again as fast as she had opened it.  There's was nothing she could do, Grace refused to talk, but she knew that there was a woman who Grace liked and that woman wasn't her.  She sighed with tiredness and stood up too.

"Bye, Grace," she said with sadness.

Grace waved her hand good-bye.  Who could it be that woman who Grace liked so much?  Nicole thought.

Grace chewed her piece of fish looking at her plate thinking.  Gabe and George were sitting at the table too with Grace eating; their father had to do some visits to his patients in the hospital, he would arrive home late that day so they were all having dinner without him.