Something New

Troy : Poetry

You were lounging on your bed reading a book for your English class, Troy had come over about an hour ago but you had been partially ignoring him due to being engrossed in the book.

"Aye." Troy says while waving his hand in your face, you bookmarked the page before closing the book slowly.

"Yes?" Your eyebrow was arched as you stared at him, your annoyance displayed loud and clear. Troy patted his lap and smiled brightly at you.

"I want you to read to me." Troy said, your face contorted. Read to him?

"You won't like it!" You whined, your back pressed against his chest as you clutched the book close to you not wanting to share.

"We'll find out after you read it; now start." He replied while peering over your shoulder, you sighed heavily before opening the book again.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st;
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

Troy was silent for a few minutes before he bursted into laughter, you frowned before closing the book.
He eventually stopped laughing wiping a few tears that had escaped but by then you were beyond pissed.

"What the f*ck! what was that?" Troy asked, you rolled your eyes at his ignorance.

"William Shakespeare; Sonnet 18." You reply in a monotonous voice, Troy had gotten quiet in a matter of seconds.

"Who?"

"William Shakespeare! The English playwright and poet who wrote over 150 Sonnets!"

"Nah Ion know him."

"He wrote Romeo and Juliet..."

"Why didn't you say that at first.."

"Beca-you know what you're right silly me, I shouldn't assume everyone knows who Shakespeare is." you said sarcastically, before you could get off of his lap Troy wrapped his arm around you keeping you in place.

"Why you got a attitude?"

"Because that happens to be one of my favorite poems and you made fun of it." you seethed, Troy placed his chin on your shoulder.

"Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, If I understood what he f*ckin saying." Troy suggested, you opened the book again looking at the poem before clearing your throat.

"Should I compare you to a Summer's day?
You are more lovely and constant:
Rough winds shake the buds that bloom in May
And Summers do not last very long:
Sometimes the sun does shine too bright,
Or often it hides behind the clouds;
And everything beautiful sometime will lose its beauty,
By misfortune or by nature's planned out course.
But your youth shall not fade,
Nor will you lose the beauty that you possess;
Nor will death claim you for his own,
Because in my eternal verse you will live forever.
So long as there are people on this earth,
So long will this poem live on, making you immortal."

"Wow." Troy whispered, you reread the poem silently admiring the beauty of the words that were written for Shakespeare's unidentified love.

"I know. It's so romantic and ethereal." You swooned, Troy laughed quietly before kissing your cheek.

"Do you like it now?"

"You know, it's not too bad.."