Meet My Character!

I wanted to introduce you readers to my OC I would occasionally use for random stories, to show you where I got half of my ideas from. Now, Mary Read isn't exactly fictional. She was a real person and you could look her up on Wikipedia, but I took her character and added some classical Once Upon A Time plot twists to her story. So, enjoy!

Mary Read was born and raised in the Enchanted Forest, on a farm with her mother and father. On the next farm over was where her father's brother and his family lived. His brother? Rumplestiltskin. Yes, Rumplestiltskin was Mary's uncle. Throughout her childhood, she walked to their farm, playing with her older teenaged cousin, Baelfire. She got scared every time her Aunt Milah fought with her poor uncle, but Bae kept a brave face for his little cousin and told her everything was gonna be alright. Mary trusted him because she looked up to him like a brother.

One night, Mary was coming home from their house when she noticed smoke in the distance...it was coming from her farm. That tiny toddler, already tired from running, ran as fast as she could all the way home, only to see that her house was set aflame...with her parents inside. She made an attempt to storm in and find her mom and dad but her Aunt Milah came out of nowhere and held her back from any harm. As the house turned into ashes through the very early morning, Milah took little Mary to the market by the docks instead of to her own house and left her to live with an old widow who ran a bar and inn. Milah then left for the docks where she was to run away with a certain pirate, her niece screaming and begging for her to come back. She never saw her aunt again.

All throughout her teen years, Mary dressed as a boy to find jobs and earn money for the old woman who had been raising her. Mary liked to just call her Grandma instead of her new Mother. And at night, after work, Mary would dress back into a woman and work for Grandma's inn, along with the widow's son, John Mark, who was a little older than Mary. The two grew up together in that Inn, and eventually fell in love. But, as the old woman got older, John Mark got more reckless in finding ways to earn money. Eventually, he got caught up in gambling and started losing money more than earning. The addiction was a problem, and it made Mary's work even harder. She even started working nights as a man! Her wearing men's clothing became a regular thing for her. Little did she know, John Mark began gambling with big people...including the Dark One.

Eventually, Mary, who used the alias Mark, found 'himself' a job as a privateer for the King, and earned the rank as a captain on a ship. It was a perfect job for her to earn money for her Grandma. She wanted John Mark to come with her, so they can be at sea together and he could get over his addiction. Unfortunately, he was so deep in debt, he wanted to stay, but he gave her the excuse that he wouldn't up and leave his mother. But he promised her that when she returned, they would get married.

That morning, when 'Mark' and 'his' crew were getting ready to set sail, John Mark waited to say goodbye on the docks. Suddenly, Rumplestiltskin popped out of nowhere, claiming that John Mark owed him money from the deal they made. When he couldn't give him what he wanted, The Dark One killed him as payment, not knowing his niece was watching.

Ever since then, Mary had felt nothing but hatred for her uncle, not only because he was the Dark One, but also because he murdered the love of her life. Grief-stricken, she vowed for revenge, and stripped away her male identity, showing her new crew that she was a woman and that they would from now on be pirates, searching for ways to kill the Dark One. It's how she earned the title Mary Read, one of the fiercest lady pirates in history.

She went on many adventures with her new pirate crew, spreading terror wherever she went. But eventually, she met another lady pirate by the name of Anne Bonney, who was a part of another crew who's husband was the captain. Mary decided to be a part of their crew and left her own. Even if she wasn't the captain, she stayed on that ship because she grew fond of Anne. She was her best friend, practically partners in crime. Anne was like a big sister to Mary, and they would do anything for each other.