One Last Promise

You don't know what to do. You never really did.

You called Emma and asked for advice because she's been through your situation. She said the same thing her mother and Belle told you before her,

"Tell him."

Easy for them to say. They are either happily married or just fine with their lives. Yours, on the other hand, was about to change, for better or worse.

"Love? Are you here?"

You walk out of your kitchen and your smile widens to see Killian in the doorway holding a heavy looking sack over his shoulder. He drops it on the ground when he sees you and his matching smile grew on his face, letting out a breath, exhausted from his trip. He had gone with Charming on a journey to the Enchanted Forest, and it was really only a one-way ticket, so you were relieved he actually made it back to Storybrooke.

You felt your lip quiver and you ran to him, jumping up and into his arms as he held so close you'd thought you would break.

"You're alive." You sobbed into his shoulder.

"Of course I am! Did you forget-!"

"I'm a survivor." You nod your head, looking up at him with your hand behind the back of his neck, "I know."

He looks at you, puzzled, "What is it, something's wrong."

You shake off that feeling you had and replaced it with a fake smile, "Nothing's wrong it's just...I'm glad you're back." You lean up and give him a kiss that he just couldn't refuse.

When he gently pulls away he's trapped you by holding onto your arms, "No, something's up," He says as-a-matter-of-factly. His tone of voice and blue eyes showed he was concerned and of course, he was, "What is it?"

You bite your lip and took Snow's advice. What better way of finding out then by just telling him. And if he breaks your heart then at least you'll have the satisfaction that you've tried.

"I'm pregnant." You whispered.

You watched as his face went from confusion, to shock, or maybe the right word was bewildered. You called Emma earlier about this because she's had a child before marriage, like what you and Killian are about to experience.

"That's wonderful, love."

Your face brightens with happiness, "Really?"

"Of course it is!" He suddenly has your waist and is swinging you around, making you giggle, "I'm going to be a father!"

He sets you down and it was his turn to lean in for a kiss, which you gratefully accepted. You kissed for a long time before he pulled away with the widest smile on his face, the wrinkles by his eyes deepened into his face in a way that made him all the more handsome.

"I was worried..." You admitted, slumping slightly in his arms.

"Worried? About what, darling? I love you...and I'm going to love this child, too!"

"Of course you are." You smile proudly, "You're going to be a great father."

"Just remember darling," he kissed your temple, "I was willing to raise Baelfire and be his father aboard my ship, for Milah's sake...don't think I would never do the same for you. I promise this will all turn out to be the happy ending you've always wanted. I love you, flower."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was eleven years ago, and after your son was born you and Killian got married, as lovers and wonderful parents. You couldn't have been more satisfied with your happy ending.

Until Killian became the Dark One...to protect you, which would actually be the end of you.

You betrayed him, in order to save Storybrooke and everyone in it. And as punishment...you wouldn't get to keep your life.

You had your back turned from him, facing the wall of the Jolly Roger, where Killian had lured you in, alone, in the middle of the ocean, so no one could witness your death.

"Hook...before you kill me. You have to promise me something." Your voice shook, but you stood tall.

You could hear him, with his back turned, rummaging around to pick something from the table. Your guess was that it was his hook since you heard the sound of the object clicking in place.

"Promise me..." A tear slipped down your cheek, "You won't ever go looking for our son."

He paused, turning his head slightly as you continued, "He doesn't need to know about our past. He doesn't need to know how his mother was killed by his father."

Hook straightened himself, locking his jaw in place as he pondered on what to do as your voice ambushed his thoughts, "He deserves a better life. A life that you couldn't give him...A life better than a pirate's."

He didn't notice the single tear falling down his face, as he turns back to you, and you to him. Your eyes were pink and swollen, uncontrollable tears dripped from them.

"Please, promise me." You sobbed, "I've done everything for you. At least do this one thing for me."

He steps slowly closer to you, his hook at his side and you force yourself to stay put, fighting the urge not to run, because it was no use. He was close enough for you to see his tear drying on his face, and his eyes showed that heartbroken look that always had an effect on you. You avoid his gaze by letting your eyes drift down, enough to see what was clamped around his neck.

It was a simple chain, but you recognized it none the less. And attached to this chain was his wedding ring. You had a matching necklace to prove it. It was the symbol of your love because only the two of you did that. You wouldn't put it on your finger because, well, Hook's left hand was gone. He couldn't wear his wedding ring so why should you? So you both wore them as necklaces.

He may be the Dark One, but it was obvious he still loved you, and you felt terrible for betraying him.

"I love you, flower."

Your happy ending ended as you fell to the floor, seeing nothing but darkness.